Sign in to follow this  
antil33t

E30 "Knocking Noises"

Guest FrantiC

u-joints on your driveshaft are most probably damaged then. New tranny mounts, prop coupling and center bearing will help but if the u-joints are binding it will cause premature failure of those parts. But you should be fine, Could be a good idea to get a good used driveshaft though..

u-joints on your driveshaft are most probably damaged then. New tranny mounts, prop coupling and center bearing will help but if the u-joints are binding it will cause premature failure of those parts. But you should be fine, Could be a good idea to get a good used driveshaft though..

Yeah, I'll get dad to check the U-Joint, As far as I know, he said it looked fine.. but, i'll go get a price on a used driveshaft, see how much money i have left over,

I should only need the smaller half shaft, as that's where the universal is right?

Guest FrantiC

Yeah, I'll get dad to check the U-Joint, As far as I know, he said it looked fine.. but, i'll go get a price on a used driveshaft, see how much money i have left over,

I should only need the smaller half shaft, as that's where the universal is right?

There are 2 ujoints on the driveshaft, 1 on front section 1 on the rear.. You can't really tell by looking at the driveshaft. There is a certain amount of play allowed in the u-joint. It's some rediculous low number like 0.025" ?

:o just ordered everything today, $400 later :(

Sweet, car is fixed. thanks for the help guys.