Sign in to follow this  
antil33t

E30 "Knocking Noises"

Hey All, I've had my car about 3 weeks and It's allready broken :(

Yesterday, On my way to Uni, I put my foot on the brake, and I hear this horrid "knocking" noise... (It's hard to explain)

But... Knock-Knock-Knock-Knock... and so on. It will eventually stop, and if I don't brake so hard, it won't knock....

Anyways, Took the car home and let dad have a play, He reckons it's either the Gearbox mount, or the universial joint mount, Though in the short amount of time we had to check tonight we couldn't really get a close look, as you have to remove the exaust and a cover to get to it...

Any other things we should check?

Thanks in Advance,

Michael

Oh, forgot to say, It's a 91' Facelift E30 , with an Automatic Gearbox... and it's an Import?

Edited by antil33t

I also get the same, not sure why? goes away though so not fussed. Maybe its just cold?

Guest FrantiC

Yeah it will be your drive shaft. Does the car sort of shunt when it happens ?

Check the Center hanger bearing and propshaft coupling. Both rubber and if are worn out will cause the driveshaft to move around to much and clunk.

It only goes away if you don't have to brake hard... but even then it may come back at random... It's quite a voilent feeling... Not something I'd just put up with, considering you can feel it quite well through your seat.

Yeah it will be your drive shaft. Does the car sort of shunt when it happens ?

Check the Center hanger bearing and propshaft coupling. Both rubber and if are worn out will cause the driveshaft to move around to much and clunk.

Yeah, It sort of shunts... You can definately feel it.

Will do, have orginised with dad to get the car up on ramps and inspect everything.

Does this at all happen often to E30's?

Guest FrantiC

I have heard about it alot, I had the same issue on my first e30 i got. Braking or off-throttle would make the car shunt and clunk. The center bearing was F'd, I left it long enough the entire thing ripped apart and it became undrivable (seriously mad vibrations) and ruined that driveshaft.

If you have vibration in your steering wheel when braking, especially from high speed then that is most likely bad control arm bushes or warped rotors. But there isn't always a knocking or any sort of sound associated with that just vibration through the steering wheel.

I have heard about it alot, I had the same issue on my first e30 i got. Braking or off-throttle would make the car shunt and clunk. The center bearing was F'd, I left it long enough the entire thing ripped apart and it became undrivable (seriously mad vibrations) and ruined that driveshaft.

If you have vibration in your steering wheel when braking, especially from high speed then that is most likely bad control arm bushes or warped rotors. But there isn't always a knocking or any sort of sound associated with that just vibration through the steering wheel.

Will get onto this ASAP in that case... last thing I need is to screw something majorly :/

Both Control arm bushes have been replaced... (last owner) infact, pretty much all the bushings for suspention too have been replaced :/ and when we looked at the rotors the other day, and realised I should replace them in the next 2-3 months they diddn't seem warped...

but yeah, Your advice is muchly appreciated _b

Yeah mate its your center hanger bearing driveshaft mount

I had this happen to me when the protective plate got pushed up into the driveshaft, would only knock on deceleration, all I did was swapped plates underneath and problem was solved.

Dont try to get over a small mound, I got beached with the rear wheels in the air :) hence causing the plate to be pushed up as it took the load.

Yeah, It sort of shunts... You can definately feel it.

Will do, have orginised with dad to get the car up on ramps and inspect everything.

Does this at all happen often to E30's?

Yep, its really common, make sure when you replace it to mark where the prop shaft was aligned, otherwise you could get the two pieces out of balance and you will still get vibrations, (just mark them with a twink pen or something)

Hmm..

Anyone got any idea about where I could head to get quotes for these parts? I'm interested in making sure they'll have one for the weekend, otherwise I'll be without a car next week :(

PM Gavin at Euro Italian, he's a sponsor here on the forum, he hooked me up with a center driveshaft mount, was about $120 incl gst with BS discount. He would be the man to talk to.

Guest FrantiC

Yeah Gavin will give you the best deal on it, Pickup a Propshaft coupling while you are there too..

He usually has them in stock too and you pay and get it the next morning.. He's on to it.

I'm in Dunedin... Guess theres nowhere to go Locally...

Hopefully shipping won't Ream me... but i was expecting to pay more than 120 bucks.

Just hope this is the problem, without being able to look... stupid coverings and dad not finishing work till 5 each day.

Will PM Gavin now, Thanks guys :)

Guest FrantiC

E-mail him, I don't think he checks forums as often. let him know you found him through bimmersport for the discount.

ento@clear.net.nz

E-mail him, I don't think he checks forums as often. let him know you found him through bimmersport for the discount.

ento@clear.net.nz

Will do, Cheers...

Roughly, how big is this part?

^ +1 on that. You will get lollies in your parcel too :D and shipping to Welly for me wasn't bad, just standard courier so I can't see yours being much worse. GL

Edit: It comes in a box about 15cm x 15cm :D

Edited by Forrest

Ahh, So she's not such a big part, shouldn't be too bad...

I've asked him for prices on the driveshaft mount, and driveshaft coupling.

Will hopefully get these parts this week.

Hey, I want lollies with my driveshaft couplings :D

(so I can sit and eat them whilst watching dad fix my car :P)

Many thanks again guys, I'd sure as hell be lost without you :)

^ No worries mate this is what Bimmersport is all about, I wouldn't be driving a e30 with out Bimmersport right now, would've got frustrated as hell and sold it off. And plenty of people help me out still, so just returning the favour.

Just hope this is the problem, without being able to look... stupid coverings and dad not finishing work till 5 each day.

Even if it doesn't fix it you will have ticked something off the list of things that should be done to e30s after 20 years. gl

Guest FrantiC

http://www.pelicanparts.com/bmw/techarticl...aft_Bearing.htm

That DIY is fr an e36, But procedure is the exact same for an e30..

As for propshaft coupling, that is the rubber donut between your driveshaft and gearbox output flange. 3 bolts you will have to remove for the driveshaft to come off, then you just need to undo the 3 holding it to the output flange of the gearbox, bolt the new one onto the gearbox and then when you assemble the driveshaft again bolt it to the new one.

Guest FrantiC

Oh and one more thing, check your transmission mounts too. Alot of the times they are covered in oil and grease and the mounts rip in half.

Ahh, Will do...

Went and asked a BMW dealer today for prices... 250 for the mount, and 210 for the coupling... Quite expensive really, but they'd get them in overnight.

And typical, The car has misteriously fixed itself, and no longer makes noises... But, I'll still be checking and replacing any bits that look worn.

Right, had the car apart today.

Center Hanger = shagged, has completely fallen apart.

Driveshaft coupling = cracking badly, will replace anyway.

Gearbox mounts = ripped in half..

all the rubber has gone all hard and ripped... I guess that's the issue with the rubber..

On another note, managed to debadge the boot (M and 320i) looks alot neater.