Sign in to follow this  
turbolizard

No FM reception - OEM radio

The FM reception in my OEM radio has stopped working. AM and CD is fine. Does anyone know if this is likely a fault in the head unit or in the antenna? From reading elsewhere I understand there is some kind of antenna amplifier in the car and wonder if that might be the problem, as it is only the FM that stopped working.

I know it would probably be easier, cheaper and better to just buy a new head unit but the car is an NZ new e34 540 6speed and I would like to keep it original if I can.

The FM reception in my OEM radio has stopped working. AM and CD is fine. Does anyone know if this is likely a fault in the head unit or in the antenna? From reading elsewhere I understand there is some kind of antenna amplifier in the car and wonder if that might be the problem, as it is only the FM that stopped working.

I know it would probably be easier, cheaper and better to just buy a new head unit but the car is an NZ new e34 540 6speed and I would like to keep it original if I can.

Typical problems are:

1. Centre core of antenna cable has borken in the antenna plug at back of radio. This affects FM and AM, so it you can still receive AM stations, this is not the fault

2. Antenna wires on rear windows corroded through / scratched, meaning antenna is disconnected. FM uses different antennas to AM. inspect window carefully.

3. Antenna amplifier has lost power / become unplugged / failled. Mounted in LH C pillar. Remove and inspect, fit temporary FM antennas (1m length of wire) and see if reception improves.

Also try the 1m length of wire directly on the antenna socket of the radio - that will show if the antenna amp is working too.

Tip: to check reception, use the signal strength monitor in the Service Mode and see what makes reception better (higher value) as you work through the diagnosis.

Thanks for the ideas.

I have been playing around with the audio today and it has other faults too. I guess I have not been paying full attention to the faults as I now cannot get the radio to work with another wire plugged into the antenna input, on FM or AM.

Front channels are also playing up. Did a bit more reading today on head unit which is Sony XR-U550, with CD changer in boot. Seems like these have died in many other cars too - I may have to rethink.

Thanks for the ideas.

I have been playing around with the audio today and it has other faults too. I guess I have not been paying full attention to the faults as I now cannot get the radio to work with another wire plugged into the antenna input, on FM or AM.

Front channels are also playing up. Did a bit more reading today on head unit which is Sony XR-U550, with CD changer in boot. Seems like these have died in many other cars too - I may have to rethink.

yes those xr-u550 sont/bmw radios are SH&T i have about 4 or 5 of them all with faults , funny that sont can make radios with no faults then they stick a bmw logo on it and they all pack up.

yes double check the white has power going to it to supply 12v to teh ant amp.

you can fit a later sony deck to your car with the same cd changer plug , but you will just need to adapt the wires from the car loom to the newer sony deck .

post-279-1243833881_thumb.jpg

Edited by Brent HARTGE535i

you can fit a later sony deck to your car with the same cd changer plug , but you will just need to adapt the wires from the car loom to the newer sony deck .

Will check antenna amp as described but guessing I may need new head unit (at least).

What other units might fit with minimum mods? Anything with unilink to run CD I guess. Not looking forward to doing much re-wiring. If it becomes a lot of effort I might be better with a more complete upgrade, although I prefer total stock appearing.

In the end I put a new Sony head unit in, so that I could still use the Sony Bus (Unilink) to run my CD changer and the original amp etc without much work. It was relatively easy to reconfigure the wiring for a new unit.

It is all working again now and I'm pretty happy with an easy fix, until this new Sony head unit dies I guess. I got one that is basically black and has conservative styling so it fits in OK. The only thing I don't like is the display and buttons don't match the rest of the instruments so well (blue not orange) and are too bright.

Thanks for the helpful pointers guys.

Not sure about Sony specifically, but my previous Blaupunkts have given the option of changing the colour of the lighting, and intensity. Might be worth a look in the manual if nothing else.