Sign in to follow this  
QuickSilver

Attention iPhone users!

Hi all, I've just picked up one of these bad boys and I'm quite unsure of a few things!

My main questions lie with "Data usage" what exactly counts towarda my MBs on vodafone? Am I correct in thinking that when I'm connected to a wifi network that this does not affect my data allowance? All my apps work regardless whether I'm on a wifi connection or not, how do I know when I'm connected to the vodafone network? Say if I forget to login to wifi and start browsing away?

Noob questions!

Thanks all!

Yup wi-fi = no network data charges for appz that access the internet...

To tell if your on 3g, gsm, wi-fi up by where you have your signal bars are you will see a O or a 3G or anouther signal strength bars pointing upwards.

When you see the:

O = GSM network

3G = 3G network

UPwards Signal bars = Wi-Fi

If you forget to to logon into your wi-fi you will be on the vodafone network.

YOu can setup your phone to automatically logon to your wi-fi...

Be-aware the iphone can not do the following:

- receive or send pxt or mms messages

- forward text messages

- custom ringtones (you can make them but it's a pain)

- no video recording

- be used as a usb harddrive/pen drive (can get programs to allow you to do this)

Thanks that's brilliant, exactly what I was after, just a couple more noob questions, what is gsm? Do things like the gps maps use data? Thanks for the info regarding the other stuff also.

yup... the gps system is free, BUT the phone doesn't store the FRICKEN maps, so everytime you want to get a road map you need to connect to the vodafone network and download it (it does it automatically) but should you not be on a data plan this = $$

meaning - locating you where you are = free....  showing you where you are on a map = $$$

GSM is an old style network - no video calling (not that the iphone can do it), it's basically the really old slow network...

You can get the skype app for the phone should you use it - but non of the apps will run in the background so you need to leave the phone on that app i.e. skype if you want to use it as a skype phone

P.S. i own one...

Edited by DRTDVL

Ahh I see so if for example if I use the twitter application it won't continue to be online after I close it?

That could be a tad annoying with the maps but I think I'll live.

That's crazy cool about the skype app. I'll have to get it, aside from the iPhones drawbacks have you been relatively happy with it?

How quickly does the data usage go while browsing?

Sorry also wanted to ask, how do I know when the phone is downloading data? Like you say in the gps maps will it automatically start downloading?

I use it got checking my emails, surfing web in traffic both daily. 

Use it as a pgs device couple times a month and i'm well under my limit...

You should see a spinning circle to the right of the 3G/O/upwards bars when it's accessing the internet... 

Yup you got it with the twitter thing.. you will only have access to twitter when the app is open.

I think it's a sh*t phone but a good PDA...

ohh with bluetooth and wireless on the battery life  = crap... 

Sweet this info is great, what data allowance have you got setup? Im using the iPhone 60 plan, 250mb, 60 mind etc etc, I like what I've seen so far!

Be-aware the iphone can not do the following:

- receive or send pxt or mms messages

- forward text messages

- custom ringtones (you can make them but it's a pain)

- no video recording

- be used as a usb harddrive/pen drive (can get programs to allow you to do this)

A few things that are listed above are addressed with the free 3.0 software update coming in a few days....MMS/PXT, Forwarding text and much more....I've been running it for a number of months...its where it needs to be.

Custom ringtones are REALLY easy to do - just use Garageband on the Mac.

Video recording will be interesting! There are apps around which do it - but not very easy to install.

Pen drive? Just get a free one off a supplier at work....hehehe. They are a give away these days!

I have a business which develops for the iPhone - and its an awesome device. The phone side will get better and better (just as it did from 1.0 onwards)

The whole idea of the phone getting better and better through free software updates is brilliant - you will see most phone have or will head this way...

A few things that are listed above are addressed with the free 3.0 software update coming in a few days....MMS/PXT, Forwarding text and much more....I've been running it for a number of months...its where it needs to be.

Custom ringtones are REALLY easy to do - just use Garageband on the Mac.

Video recording will be interesting! There are apps around which do it - but not very easy to install.

Pen drive? Just get a free one off a supplier at work....hehehe. They are a give away these days!

I have a business which develops for the iPhone - and its an awesome device. The phone side will get better and better (just as it did from 1.0 onwards)

The whole idea of the phone getting better and better through free software updates is brilliant - you will see most phone have or will head this way...

Ya i wasn't sure when 3.0 would be released i was aware it would fix a few of the problems. But i still think its piss poor of Apple to not have it in the original 2.0 release. I hate having to carry in multiple things i've got a 16gb iphone i should be able to use the space for what i want to... Software like touchcopy is absolutely fantastic but you need to have it on what ever machine you want to access the iphone's storage capabilties on. The company that makes the software makes a range of other apps that are also very good. Typically i'm transfering sometimes 500mb files around the place (whoo cad updates) and it's much simpler to just use my phone (like i did with my last 2) or my old mp3 player (30gb creative zen)... 

Unfortantly i'm a pc based user and it's not the easiest to make the ringtones with itunes... you can do it but dammit i want to be able to just choose a track from the ones i have on the phone and use that like i could with my past 3 phones.  Iphone = 2 generations behind most 3g phones in a lot of aspects.

I think i'm on the 250 plan or something like that... 

Mrad01 - feel like making an app for free for me to use for lacrosse? It's just a simple timekeeper / scorer... 

Edited by DRTDVL

New iphone's should be out soon, cant wait

Mrad01 - feel like making an app for free for me to use for lacrosse? It's just a simple timekeeper / scorer... 

Yeah, could do - what does it need to do/look like?

Any sites or anything I could build from?

Thanks guys you've all been very informative. Is there a way to type horizontally during other things, not just browsing?

Thanks guys you've all been very informative. Is there a way to type horizontally during other things, not just browsing?

In the (soon to be out) 3.0 software, you will get side typing in many more places (like Mail etc) AND you will get copy/paste....

Check out this for more info...

http://www.apple.com/iphone/preview-iphone-os/

i want this update NOW! hurry up apple release the damm thing....

mrad01: I'll send you a link to the app that could be used as a base, and a screenshot mockup later...

i want this update NOW! hurry up apple release the damm thing....

mrad01: I'll send you a link to the app that could be used as a base, and a screenshot mockup later...

Sweet! I'll put something together if it is simple enough...

Apple's WWDC is in a few days - virtually a done deal on the release of 3.0 there.

http://www.apple.com/pr/library/2009/05/13wwdc.html