Sign in to follow this  
lbirgel

Headunit issues

Hey guys

Ive conected a aftermerket JVC head unit in my partners car (Deawoo Lanos) but it won't seem to stay on. The only way the system will turn on is if i push the cd eject button or the display button. it only stays on for 5 seconds tho and turns off again. Pushing the on button won't turn it on either.

Im no electrical wiz but the headunits ove wired up in my previous cars have all worked fine.

any thoughts of what the problem could be?

Ohh and i know your going to say get a professional to do it but i would like to try sorting it before i shell out my dollars.

Cheers

Sounds as though you only have the +12V wire connected, and not the ACC +12v feed. That is why it "turns on" when you press eject - most players will eject a disc when they are turned off with only the 12v feed attached. The unit won't turn on until you also connect the acc feed. (yellow wire usually).

You should have the black (sometimes brown) wire to a permanent earth. The red wire to a fused permanent 12v feed, and the yellow wire to a switched feed that comes on with the vehicle ignition. If you want to test the unit you could temporarily hook both the red and yellow to the permanent feed and it should stay on all the time, but this is not how it was designed to operate.

Sounds as though you only have the +12V wire connected, and not the ACC +12v feed. That is why it "turns on" when you press eject - most players will eject a disc when they are turned off with only the 12v feed attached. The unit won't turn on until you also connect the acc feed. (yellow wire usually).

You should have the black (sometimes brown) wire to a permanent earth. The red wire to a fused permanent 12v feed, and the yellow wire to a switched feed that comes on with the vehicle ignition. If you want to test the unit you could temporarily hook both the red and yellow to the permanent feed and it should stay on all the time, but this is not how it was designed to operate.

Just a correction here; :) Nearly all new radios - Yellow = 12v permanent. Red = 12v switched.

yea man, this happened with my sony headunit, didnt have a proper ACC feed,

if that dosent fix it, i wouldnt have a clue.

try soldering the wires, if your battery is crap a bit of soldar makes all the diffrence, especially on the ground wire

Edited by Wervie67