Sign in to follow this  
E30stz

E30 Advice

My advice for you if you buy this or any other E30 is to make sure you have some spare cash left over from the purchase.

E30's are old cars, and they will require some work done to them, and something will go wrong with it from time to time.

They are good cars though, but you just have to accept when you buy something between 14 and 20 years old, it will have the odd hiccup from time to time.

The up side is that there are heaps of them around, and parts are easy to come by, and are relatively cheap.

Good luck

Cheers

Well, I swapped a 95 auto honda civic...worth 5-5.5k for a 1990 E30 318i on 17" borbets (gus was talking about this before) and the guy let me take my stereo system and gave me $4000 cash! It has about $900 worth of work to do to it, but nothing major. So I would have paid somewhere between $1000-1500 for it, but I got the stereo worth $400 with it...

So I would say have a look around private sellers before you go and offer that kinda money to a dealer. Or just make sure you check it all out before rushing into any offers.

...either that or throw in an extra $1700 and buy gus's car off him cos we all know thats mint and its got an extra .7 displacement and 2 extra cylinders... :P

my 2 cents...carry on :blink:

Yea, that number plate thing should basically come off easily enough, and then just buy a surround like mine from a wreckers for $15-$20 (Like I did, mine originally had nothing at all there). When you get your europlates, they'll be undrilled, so you can drill the holes wherever they are on your new surround.

M-tech2 kit looks exactly like mine from behind. Does it have m-technic stickers on it? although i'm sure it's easy enough to buy them and throw them on if they were fake.

Basically im looking for an E30 in mint condition with reasonably low KM's .. >115,000. The bigger the engine the better - although im not sure the insurance company would like me seeing as I'm on le' restricted.

Best I've seen so far is Black 320i 60,000 :o !

next that 318i on 90,000.

Edited by E30stz

Guest Andrew

Basically im looking for an E30 in mint condition with reasonably low KM's .. >115,000. The bigger the engine the better - although im not sure the insurance company would like me seeing as I'm on le' restricted.

Best I've seen so far is Black 320i 60,000 :o !

next that 318i on 90,000.

get one 150 000 + .. most mechanical things will/should of been replaced by then.

will agree...km's dont mean a hell of a lot...it all depends on how its been looked after...makes sense really when you think about it

my next one has 250k +

In my opinion one of the most tell-tale signs of how reliable a car will be is how its been looked after. If the previous owners have taken the time to wash and clean etc chances arethey've done the same for the mechanical stuff. My mate brought an E30, paint and interior was pretty bad nick. gave him heaps of trouble. Mine is in pretty good nick and has given me no trouble for 18 months and gets warrants easy as. BTW mines up to 230K

I'm surprised it doens't have a sport steering wheel, seeing as it has kit and sport seats etc

As someone else said, if you like the kit then get that car, or if you want something fast then shop around.