Sign in to follow this  
E36

BBS RS Wheels

Hi,

Just wondering if anyone has bought any BBS wheels recently - either locally or in from overseas?

I'm interested in a set of BBS RS 17" 8.5 - 9.0 for my 635 and am keen to know anyone's experiences (good or bad).

Thanks

Hmm just realised I should have posted this in the brakes & suspension forum... sorry!

Or that one too! Should just concentrate on wheels instead of that and big brake kits at the same time.

Anyhow, back on track...

Does anyone on here even have a set?

I don't recall seeing any member photos with those beasts on...

Edited by crazyarab

Make sure you have a big brake kit that fits behind the BBS's. They don't have much x factor - especially if going to a large rotor - the bolts make the calipers foul.

I had to sell my RS's when I went for bigger brakes.

My 2c

I've got a set of RSs

They won't work with big brake kits though, you'd be better with a set of LMs

Expect to pay about $5,000 for a set of RSs in 17"

i got a set of BBS 17 x 8.5 et 15 pcd 5x120 from a guy in auckland....basketweave look a likes ,so they are around

That's interesting re the big brake kit incompatability, thanks. I have done some research on the Wilwood kit and it appears they require a minimum 17" wheel. Sounds like 17" wheels can have different internal diameters.

That's interesting re the big brake kit incompatability, thanks. I have done some research on the Wilwood kit and it appears they require a minimum 17" wheel. Sounds like 17" wheels can have different internal diameters.

It's the spoke and barrel design that matters. 3piece wheels (in my experience) have a nice big barrel but the face of the wheel is often flat and inset so it fouls on the caliper face.

The barrels one piece wheels usually step up to the spokes so they may foul on the caliper radially. However, unless you're using 350mm+ this should not be a problem with 17" wheels.

The depth of the rotor being used also matters, this may push the caliper face further into the wheel. I'm not sure what the situation is with E36's, but I needed to use a shallower rotor to clear the balljoint in my E30 and as a result the caliper and rotor now sit 5mm+ outwards of the original rotor centreline. This makes the spoke design even more crucial.

During my search, I found the higher end wheels like SSR Type C, or Rays SE37K to be the most accomodating. For the record I've managed to squeeze 300mm 4piston system inside 15" wheels (SSR Type C) as opposed to the wilwood 286mm kit that is meant for 16".

Hope that helps.

As a general rule, attractive dish is challenging in combination with four/six pot brakes, and it definitely pays to try first. JiB tried quite a lot of wheels before finding the SSRs. Based on looking at my M3, it will still apply to an E36 if its upgraded to Brembo etc.

In NZ for some reason Cardwells doesn't have the slim line SL-6. They have the fatter ones.

BBK's in general need 17inch + wheels.

Have a look at LeeVongs site for an idea of what works.

http://www.massivebrakes.com/

As others have said I dont think RS's will handle BBK. The newer wheels do however.

Thanks Hybrid, thats a great site.

I'm looking at these for my E24 635 but either way it looks like it warrants careful investigation.

Some really useful advice, thanks guys.

Sweet.

There is a nice kit on there for an e24 :)

I'm running them with the 330mm front on the e30 with 18 bbs LMs ... fit fine with plenty of room.

i got a set of BBS 17 x 8.5 et 15 pcd 5x120 from a guy in auckland....basketweave look a likes ,so they are around

Are they RS though?