Sign in to follow this  
Nobimmer

How to remove E30 sunroof

Just about finished stripping the interior, just got the sunroof to do now.

How would one go about removing it? I mean the whole unit-motor and frame everything.

I have removed all the screws from the top bracket thing but there doesnt look to be an easy way of pulling it off with the rails etc.

Do I just cut the tack welds that hold the frame up and pull the whole unit out as one?

The panel is going to be replaced with perspex and glued in so dont need it.

Car is facelift 325i and has electric adjustment.

Cheers

Ashkan

I think there are 6 points where it has brackets going accross to the gutter, cut them carefully with a grinder, cut right around the sunroof opening with the grinder, leaving enough drop down to fit your perspex, then use a heat gun and stanley knife to cut the sealed bits, use plenty of heat, and be careful as the roof damages easily. The whole thing should then drop out.

So I cut the tack welds,thats sweet. Then the bit where the sunroof sits when its shut just cut out aswell? Leave enough of a lip to sit the sunroof back in and bobs your uncle?

Damnit, my grinder is too crusty and wont reach, will have to buy one tommorow. And the neighbours were all complaining. How do I get that goop out that is sandwhiched between the roof and sunroof cradle? I cant see how I am going to get a stanley knoife in there :wacko:

Get a heat gun onto it, I was lucky with one I did, it almost fell off. But one of the others was a real pita. I got mine off with a 4" grinder with new disks.

I have a 115mm grinder and had no trouble. But I cut a lot of the cradle out first and bent the bits away from the welds to ensure ease of access, cheating. You'll get covered in sparks and have a pretty pattern of burns on your forearms. (when you have ear plugs and specs on you don't need a long sleeve shirt, have to leave an element of danger.)

So I just bought myself a badass 8 inch grinder. Will take to it tommorow when I can be bothered and am slightly less enebriated.

Cheers for the PM Henry, showed exactly what I needed to know.

So I just bought myself a badass 8 inch grinder. Will take to it tommorow when I can be bothered and am slightly less enebriated.

Cheers for the PM Henry, showed exactly what I needed to know.

ummmm won't 8" be a bit big and cumbersome?

In the mining industry in WA, only fully trained and fully qualified people can use 8 inch grinders ahaa. Good luck :D

I'm still working on attaching the panel back in. Last night's method didn't quite work out.

Hmm, duct tape is the same colour as my car :D