Sign in to follow this  
rvrboy

front wheel bearing

Hi, just failed a WOF on my 87 E30 318i for the front wheel bearing, where do you recomend I go to get a new one, we only have Repco here, and what price will I be looking at. I can do the work myself no problem.

Cheers Gerry

Edited by rvrboy

I get trade price at repco and from memory it was $112 for a front wheel bearing

Euro Italian (forum sponsor) has them. They come as the complete hub assembly. You will have to knock the ABS ring off if your car doesn't have it, but its a 2 second job with a screw driver and hammer. The OEM ones are exactly the same.

Its an easy job with the correct tools, and a nightmare without them. You need a large socket for the hub nut - I forget the size but its somewhere in the order of 28-32mm, and either a very very long bar, or a rattle gun to get it off.

You also need the correct allen-bit socket to remove the brake disc (you'll strip it out with a cheap allen key).

Then you need a very decent set of bearing pullers to pull the hub off, followed by the inner-race of the bearing which will be left behind on the stub axle as your already stuffed bearing collapses.

From their its a piece of cake to knock the new bearing/hub assembly on (use a piece of pipe the correct diameter or similar to tap/press the inner race on - don't do it by hitting the hub with a hammer or you'll damage your new bearing), and reassemble. You'll need a large torque wrench (or a bit of ingenuity) to tighten the locknut to the correct torque (IMPORTANT).

And you're done.

Took me an hour maybe including a beer stop and I had all of the above tools.

[Thanks for the help , will ring around tomorrow and hope for a good price around $100-120.

Will let you know how much I get it for.

My two back wheel bearings cost me $600 , that was for the whole hubs , though i must admit i do believe i got ripped off <_< and then trying to install the friggen things!! was a mission , luckily my friend had a day of work to figure out how to do them :P

Good luck! :)

The fronts are easier than the rears. B)

My two back wheel bearings cost me $600 , that was for the whole hubs

I remember on my old e36 I needed a new front wheel bearing, cost me around $600 including installation I probably got ripped off too

Hi, just a quick update, I have shopped around , and I have got one from BNT for $186.00, which is still bloody dear I reckon.

Cheers Gerry

I had to do a rear wheel bearing on the E34, i heard there was an E34 in Hawera with no motor/box but all new suspension and bearings. Bought the whole car for $400 then changed whole trailing arm in couple hours. And i've got 2 front and 1 rear new bearings left :P

Hi, just a quick update, I have shopped around , and I have got one from BNT for $186.00, which is still bloody dear I reckon.

Cheers Gerry

Would have cost less from the forum sponser!

Would have cost less from the forum sponser!

Took the words out of my mouth Gavin!