Sign in to follow this  
B.M.W

318i 1998 whats ya thoughts

hey i need some help just wounding what you guys/girls think of the new 318i ive seen one for sale in 5speed, how do they handle, whats the power like, whats engine mods can be done (if it's worth doing that is) want somthing with abit of class yet has the power to back it up

cheers for your help thanks

318 sohc IS BASICALLY A 'ROUND TOWN' car. Not _really_ designed for long trips or towing..... loosly speaking.

If you wan't a little more grunt, 320 would be your minimum.

If u wanna stay with a four at least get a 318IS. That has a twin cam 1900cc.

318i on long trips is perfectly fine .. i had a 318i and when we went long distance to christchurch and back and i had better milage than the 318is and 320 .. !

cause we all went on the same raodtrip ..

318is is right, if you get a 318 get the 318is as they have a much better power to weight ratio and have nicer bits :D

Otherwise don't settle for anything that doesn't have a inline 6 in it

318is is right, if you get a 318 get the 318is as they have a much better power to weight ratio and have nicer bits :D

Otherwise don't settle for anything that doesn't have a inline 6 in it

:thumb:

325 up only no i lie, 328 up only.. post 1996 also

B) First of make sure it's a NZ new car. Jap import BMWs are Very Very Bad. Because in Japan they drive stop drive stop etc. My car's average speed is like 20km. Try doing this for 60,000km. Your cars buggered (mine is).

As for 4 pot motoring, Performance vs Costs. You choose. The 98 318i runs rough (idle wise). So if you want a smoother ride go for a 320i at least (and you're riding on the motorway in NZ anyway, so you'll get decent milage).

Or go for a after facelift version (after 2002). They're valvetronic and run pretty smooth, even a 318i (though the handling is pretty crappy).

i've got a e36 318i auto and it really is the red-headed stepchild of the e36 series (as European Car once put it).

We bought it because it was NZ-new and, because it was an auto, we figured the guy who owned it before didn't drive the crap out of it. Why? Because you can't - it's a e36 318i auto!

We've taken ours on lots of long trips. When we bought, style and comfort were important. Power and speed were not.

We bought it because it was NZ-new and, because it was an auto, we figured the guy who owned it before didn't drive the crap out of it. Why? Because you can't - it's a e36 318i auto!

You might wanna rethink that one ... you should really take a look at the condition (mechanically wise) of my last car .... hehehe .... i don't think anyone that knows a fair bit about car would wanna touch it with a 100ft pole ...

Note to self: never buy a BMW whose previous owner is younger than 50 y.o. No, make that 80 y.o. :)

Guest Andrew

i've got a e36 318i auto and it really is the red-headed stepchild of the e36 series (as European Car once put it).

We've taken ours on lots of long trips. When we bought, style and comfort were important. Power and speed were not.

You didn't by any chance write an article for the BMWCC in Dixi ages ago did ya?

325 up only no i lie, 328 up only.. post 1996 also

dude you need to check your lips for anal parasites if u leave your lips on dans ass for to much longer!