Sign in to follow this  
bimmer boy

E36 Leather Clean

Alright, So most people that know me, know I am a bit OCD with my cars cleanliness and am very picky with the products I use and all that jazz. As I noticed with my car when i got it that although the leather was black it was totally filthy. It is usually a good sign that leather is dirty when it is shiny. Leather should have a satin finish or matt finish to it when its new or very clean.

I have noticed that after a few months it starts getting shiny again so I get it cleaned again.

I think the best way to think of leather is like a living skin, or your own skin. It is subseptable to burning under UV light and hardens since the light dries it out. Gets dirty like skin and needs to be moisturised every so often to help replace the natural oils in the leather. This can be done really well by usuing a kind of hide food which is what I use in my car.

Below will be pictures of the products I use and before and after pictures, methods are straight forward, you just spray on a cleaner (I use my own kind of cleaner which is mixed with various different things which pretty mcuh get all the dirt out and strip off any previous protective coatings ready for new protection to be applied.

For really dirty spots esspecially on light leather you can use a toothbrush and cleaner. once you have applied the cleaner, use a clean cloth and wipe off any excess cleaner so the leather isnt too wet.

Then apply your leather conditioner or hide food or what ever you choice to use, dont use too little or too much and wipe off excess as it could leave a white residue. Any way none of you are that stupid so Im sure you guys can work it out haha

The rag at the end its all the dirt and crap that came off the seats!

EDIT the last picture displayed is the before picture.. photos got all mixed up..

The picture with the white jar in it proberbly shows how well the leather comes out when you look at it close up.

post-29-1246168011_thumb.jpg

post-29-1246168039_thumb.jpg

post-29-1246168174_thumb.jpg

post-29-1246168250_thumb.jpg

post-29-1246168285_thumb.jpg

post-29-1246168559_thumb.jpg

Edited by RJS

I got half way through this on my car a few months back but the dog ran off and i guess buried the jar of conditioner! little bitch

How much did that jar of Bentley stuff set you back?

I personally used a Meguiar 2-step leather care or the Pelle system from Farmers. Both good.

Ryan, got any other options for re-colouring worn leather other than that waproo shoe stuff?

Going to do another full set (Black this time)and thinking of other options.

Ryan, got any other options for re-colouring worn leather other than that waproo shoe stuff?

Going to do another full set (Black this time)and thinking of other options.

I did my seats with the Pelle care products.

Came out real nice with no cracks showing etc,

They are in Timaru, so am I, which is why I went to their workshop an they gave me the dye and bits when I got the leather care set. Great company to deal with.