Sign in to follow this  
JaseNZ

Curious glass or plastic

I have been looking at adding eyebrows to my front lights and have found a place that does them. I have also been looking around at a few diy's about removing your lights to replace bulbs etc. (not that i need to).

In all these diy's for the e36 they are saying the front lens is plastic but i am sure as hell mine are glass.

Are the normal ones glass or plastic ??.

The last one I looked at was glass. that was on a pre-facelft 320i if that helps

The reason all the DIY's you read are saying plastic is because American E36 headlights have plastic lenses. European Ellipsoids (Any headlight fitted to an E36 outside of America) has a glass lens.

You don't have to remove the lights to put eyebrows on?

Normally plastic mate. Yours are glass because you have a UK variant 0 suitable for the salt on the roads through winter. I think yours originally came optioned by the purchaser with glass headlights and no passenger airbag. FYI :)

The reason all the DIY's you read are saying plastic is because American E36 headlights have plastic lenses. European Ellipsoids (Any headlight fitted to an E36 outside of America) has a glass lens.

You don't have to remove the lights to put eyebrows on?

Normally plastic mate. Yours are glass because you have a UK variant 0 suitable for the salt on the roads through winter. I think yours originally came optioned by the purchaser with glass headlights and no passenger airbag. FYI :)

Yup i know i don't need to remove the lights for the eyebrow's i was just curious from some of the diy's i had read. Always handy to brush up on stuff you never know when you may need it.

I don't know about mine being a Uk variant though as it was assm in Japan. But it does have alot of stuff that is not standard. It does have the passengers side airbag as well :D

I think I was over tired when I posted this mate, sorry I was referring to Nick's car (which I used to own). sorry!!

The stock US headlights are made by hella and are plastic lens reflector (not projector) lights that take 9006 (halogen) bulbs. These are terrible terrible lights. They look bad and have very poor output. They're a complete joke on a car that came with a $40K sticker on it and BMW should be ashamed they produced the car with them fitted. It's the biggest mistake they ever made. The BMW CCA has put a price on the head of the chief lighting engineer responsible for the design and fitting of the US spec lights. He went into hiding in the late 90's and has been a recluse ever since, avoiding the consequences of his decision.

Many people in America upgrade to Euro style headlights. Bosch made the OEM lights for the Euro cars, which are glass lens projector lights. There are other companies that make them and distribute them for sale in the US. ZKW is one brand, Depo also makes a version, as well as Apexcone, DJ auto, and a few others. These lights take H1 (halogen) bulbs.

I've done enough research into angel eyes over the last year and a half!!

US spec = plastic

Euro and all other countries ZKW, Hella, Bosch all glass

The stock US headlights are made by hella and are plastic lens reflector (not projector) lights that take 9006 (halogen) bulbs. These are terrible terrible lights. They look bad and have very poor output. They're a complete joke on a car that came with a $40K sticker on it and BMW should be ashamed they produced the car with them fitted. It's the biggest mistake they ever made. The BMW CCA has put a price on the head of the chief lighting engineer responsible for the design and fitting of the US spec lights. He went into hiding in the late 90's and has been a recluse ever since, avoiding the consequences of his decision.

Many people in America upgrade to Euro style headlights. Bosch made the OEM lights for the Euro cars, which are glass lens projector lights. There are other companies that make them and distribute them for sale in the US. ZKW is one brand, Depo also makes a version, as well as Apexcone, DJ auto, and a few others. These lights take H1 (halogen) bulbs.

I've done enough research into angel eyes over the last year and a half!!

US spec = plastic

Euro and all other countries ZKW, Hella, Bosch all glass

Alot of info there thanks for that. Hahahahaha at the guy who went into hiding, Watch out the BMW police are after you.

Yup mine are the Bosch version (Nice :) )