Sign in to follow this  
DavidNZ

318i overflow hose broke - safe to drive?

Hi everyone

95 318i - the fitting on the top part of the engine, to which the hose carrying coolant to the overflow container, has broken, meaning that it can't attach the hose properly.

A friend suggested that it is fine to drive it as is, as long as i'm only going to my mechanic to get it fixed.

Is this true? I can see his logic: it's only overflow, and whilst the journey to the mechanic is about 15 minutes, i would loose some coolant, but it might be OK.

Otherwise, do BMW dealers in NZ make house calls? I could fix it myself (i mean, i only need a new hose the fitting), but i don't want to muck it up. Plus i'm not that mechanically inclined...

Any help or advice greatly appreciated!

David

Dunedin

Nah, you're sweet to drive around with your overflow pipe not working, you're only going to lose your overflow which will only happen if you get your car all hot and sweaty.

Do a temp fix, duct tape or racing tape the broken pipe back to the radiator overflow outlet, you'll be sweet :thumb:

sweet - thanks! :)

Problem is - no duct tape in the house! Argh!

we do have some dark grey sellotape that looks like it is backed with a stickly clay of some sorts (in other words, you have to peel back a layer to expose the sticky white clay material). i've never seen it before.

And we do have standard packing tape.

I just don't wanna put tape on there that will melt away or, worse, drip into the engine. The problem is on the engine end of the hose. If was by the overflow, i prolly wouldn't worry about it too much...

Hmmm, normal tape will melt if severely stressed but i've seen racing tape withstand a fair amount of pressure on an actual radiator hose so it will be ace on an overflow pipe, be sure to get the pipe fixed at some point though :lol:

Thanks Carl -

I think i'll just put some packing tape on it for the 15 minute drive. I'm sure it will be OK. Either that or one of the guys can come out and do the repair here. I've got all the part numbers I need. :)