Sign in to follow this  
bravo

MP3 Player

I want drag and drop without having to install a rather large behemoth piece of software being installed that seems to want to download large updates every 2 minutes.

You should be used to that - you use Windows!!!

:rolleyes:

And I just found out that the firmware updates are deployed via itunes. So that kind of seals the deal doesn't it??? I would have thought Apple were smart enough to realise that the majority of its customers want CHOICE. Part of the reason they like Macs.

The *majority* of iPod users want simplicity. And that is what the iPod/iTunes ecosystem provides.

Yes, what can be more simple than drag and drop????

And I'm advocating choice. I'm not saying do away with itunes. Include it on the installation CD or whatever, make it the default, and many users will use it, but if all you want to do is plug your ipod in and drag some tracks over, this should work also - straight out of the box?? Since when has ANY other Apple product required you to go through a series of installations and updates to get it working - that sounds more like Microsoft's style.

Everything else Apple is plug and play. What if I want to put some tracks on from a different PC? I have to go through the rigmarole of installing everything and loading the latest updates again!!! All I fricken want to do is drag 2 tracks over! (for instance).

That is not simple.

I'm not sure how you justify your position defending software that is actually opposing much of the ethos of Apple and its products.

Not that it matters. I bet there are thousands of happy itunes users, and there seem to be 3rd-party alternatives.

And I just found out that the firmware updates are deployed via itunes. So that kind of seals the deal doesn't it??? I would have thought Apple were smart enough to realise that the majority of its customers want CHOICE. Part of the reason they like Macs.

Yeah, it use to not.. use to have to look it up on the apple site and download manually.

What if I want to put some tracks on from a different PC? I have to go through the rigmarole of installing everything and loading the latest updates again!!! All I fricken want to do is drag 2 tracks over! (for instance).

I think the original thinking behind this was not to make life difficult for the users but the cost to the music industry in general with piracy.

How do you think they would cope if you could just hook up to to your mates pc and stick on all the music he has with a simple drag and drop?

Dont forget the ipod originally came out when the industry was already suffering with internet downloads and then along comes this portable hard drive that can store thousands of tracks which you just plug in and copy them too.

Thats why you had to 'pair' your ipod to a specific installation of itunes, to make it harder to share music with your friends.

It obviously still very easy for anyone with five mins access to google, but to 90% of users it was probably enough to stop them from copying music.

Guest Simon*

^^Correct

I had reservations about being "locked in" to itunes dependency but once I found workarounds like sharepod for borrowing or lending music, etc to others I was happy. I now use itunes 98% of the time to manage my music

^^Correct

I had reservations about being "locked in" to itunes dependency but once I found workarounds like sharepod for borrowing or lending music, etc to others I was happy. I now use itunes 98% of the time to manage my music

Just buy the iTunes Plus tracks. Same price - no DRM. I think people have the wrong idea about iTunes. There is no lock-in anymore. Gone.

From the Apple website:

"iTunes Plus songs and music videos are encoded in our highest-quality, 256-Kbps AAC format. There are no burn limits on iTunes Plus music and it is DRM (digital rights management) free, so it will play on iPod, Apple TV, all Mac and Windows computers, and many other digital music players."

Take a look at http://www.apple.com/itunes/features/ before ruling it out. The latest versions are pretty free and easy - and the simplicity of buying tracks is just unbeatable.