Sign in to follow this  
JasonL

my gearbox?

I had a transmission changed over last month and never noiced this funny whining noise it makes as I have be listening to the radio so never heard it till now.

As my revs get higher the whine gets louder?

there something wrong?

gearbox was looking at before going into car. was all fine.

car is a 88 E30 320i

I hope all is fine.

Could be alot of things...something loose, oil ?, something touching the driveshaft. Get the guys who fitted it for you to check it out.

If all else fails....turn the radio up

You sure its the gearbox and not the diff or axle bearings ?

Could be alot of things...something loose, oil ?, something touching the driveshaft. Get the guys who fitted it for you to check it out.

If all else fails....turn the radio up

You sure its the gearbox and not the diff or axle bearings ?

Car had a service before trans was put in. It didn't make this noise before it was installed.

its not a very loud whining noise. went for a drive before and noticed it makes the noise from around 18000rpm to about 2500rpm then its gone. does matter what gear its in. Sounds like a dogbox sound. (but much less noise)

The guy who installed it said it the type of gearbox the e30 racing guys use a more heavy Judy box.

Is it easy to turn the radio up and down. Or can a mechanic only do it.

its not a very loud whining noise. went for a drive before and noticed it makes the noise from around 18000rpm

18000 rpm now thats good revs for a E30 :D

did they remember to put oil in the box when they fitted it. sounds silly to ask but it has happened before

Get it checked out. Sounds like an exhaust vibration with it resonating between 1,800 & 2,500 rpm

BTW: Mechanics normaly only turn radios down so they can hear properly :P

The guy who installed it said it the type of gearbox the e30 racing guys use a more heavy Judy box.

I think someone is spinning a yarn here. He obviously doesnt know what hes talking about. The E30 race cars use a standard Getrag gearbox.

Judy ??? I think you mean Duty

He obviously doesnt know what hes talking about. The E30 race cars use a standard Getrag gearbox.

Maybe just using the gearbox out of a 325i? 260 instead of the 240.

I've always understood the getrag 260 to be slightly better than the 240. Its the "sport" box, a bit tougher with a better ratio, but that goes against what his "mechanic" told him, as the e30 boys use a 240 which isn't the better of the two... but still damn good ( I'm using one )

Mine has a bit of a whine in first disappearing through second.

I've always understood the getrag 260 to be slightly better than the 240. Its the "sport" box, a bit tougher with a better ratio, but that goes against what his "mechanic" told him, as the e30 boys use a 240 which isn't the better of the two... but still damn good ( I'm using one )

Mine has a bit of a whine in first disappearing through second.

I have the whine from two to third- four very little and fifth nothing.

A mechanic not fluent with bmws will most likely put the wrong oil in these gearboxes, this won't cause the whine but could possibly amplify it, our getrags use automatic transmission fluid ( yes you heard right ) it might pay to either ask what oil was put in, and if it's not the correct type, replace it, or do it anyway. They use a fully synthetic ATF, I use redline high performance ATF,