Sign in to follow this  
Sick Puppy

Beginner's guide to Sway/ Anti-Roll Bars please?

Hi everyone, since I'm off to the UK next week, I'm looking at buying a few bits for my 535:

http://www.bimmersport.co.nz/forums/index....showtopic=23618

I'm considering buying some powerflex bushes, but I need to know the size of the anti-roll bars I have- I'm sticking with OEM, but they have different sizes for the E34- 23,24+25mm for the front anti-roll bar, and 15+18mm for the rear anti-roll bar.

So, how do I measure them? Do I measure the circumference and do the math or use a pair of calipers? (Or I could look for a model number on them lol - d'oh!)

Assuming I have to measure them, where is the best place to measure?

And from a performance point of view, I assume the bigger the better?

Thanks for your help

Yes, motorsport sway bars are thicker. They are measured in diameter, so you can use a caliper.

I don't know anything about E34 swaybars, only E36.

I just used some vernier calipers (cheap as $4 from supercheap for a plastic piece of crap...did the job and the bushes I ordered were the right size!)

I just used some vernier calipers (cheap as $4 from supercheap for a plastic piece of crap...did the job and the bushes I ordered were the right size!)

Cheers- I have calipers already, but figured it would be good if I knew what and where to measure, especially if I didn't need calipers! lol :D