Sign in to follow this  
b mike w

E30 320i problems

hey guys just after some help. my 1986 e30 has a leaky passenger footwell. i have pulled the carpet out and still cant find were its coming from. ive heard this is a common problem so any help would be appreciated.

also my engine seems to idle between 1500-2000rpm even when warm. its a m20b20 so i was wondering if this is unusual and if so is there a way to fix it.

cheers

(1) rust in firewall or windscreen

(2) probably air leaks

Guest FrantiC

Could be the heater core/valve leaking, or the coolant pipes at the firewall leaking. Had this happen to me when driving once, though I hadn't tightened the coolant hose and it ended up leaking a crap load of fluid onto the passenger side footwell..

yeah i think its rust in the firewall and ive been told the rubber bung under the fuse box leaks. it only leaks when i rain also. and were would the air leaks for the high idle be?

cheers guys

I had this problem fixed a few weeks ago, had a large hole up behind the glove box, tbh though cannot remember where it was from, from memory it was from the sun roof drains. But can be from the drains under the window wipers also.

Cost me $120 all up to fix the rust hole, but thats knowing people.

Had to take all the carpet and interior out to, bit of a mish aye.

Good luck

Guest FrantiC

Air leaks will be frmo old dry cracked vacuum hoses.

The pre F/L 320i motors had heaps of them, Best to start replacing the smaller ones first and start from there.

I had this problem fixed a few weeks ago, had a large hole up behind the glove box, tbh though cannot remember where it was from, from memory it was from the sun roof drains. But can be from the drains under the window wipers also.

Cost me $120 all up to fix the rust hole, but thats knowing people.

Had to take all the carpet and interior out to, bit of a mish aye.

Good luck

Yeah ive got all the carpet and interior out except for the dash. did you have to take the dash out cos i still cant see a hole???

And were does the water from the sunroof drain 2?

Air leaks will be frmo old dry cracked vacuum hoses.

The pre F/L 320i motors had heaps of them, Best to start replacing the smaller ones first and start from there.

Cheers man, do u just buy replacements from your local partsmaster or repco?

Guest FrantiC

Cheers man, do u just buy replacements from your local partsmaster or repco?

Yeah, If you start with say 3m of standard vacuum hose, go and replace all the smaller vacuum hoses on the motor. There is heaps. TB to dizzy, 2 or 3 coming off the rear of the intake manifold. etc.