Sign in to follow this  
ieasti

Car broke down on motorway - MAF sensor and Camshaft Position Sensor

Right, my car broken down on the motorway today, sudden loss of power and cannot rev above 2000rpm, and engine stalls.

Got it towed to the shop and its the MAF sensor and the camshaft position sensor..

I was quoted 850 dollars for the MAF sensor (which is aftermarket, BMW ones cost 1100 apparently), and around 320 for the camshaft position sensor.

I was wondering if I could get one of those EBAY MAF sensor for around $65 US do the job?

I don't see the difference if the 850 part is going to be aftermarket as well..

e.g. http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/BMW-Mass-Ai...3A1%7C72%3A1171

Who did the quote for you? A dealer, or independent BMW expert like Botany Motor Worx or BM Workshop? The camshaft sensor price sounds about right for the installed price - mine was in the same ballpark from memory (although it didn't stop me driving it - just went into a safe engine map until replaced).

I'd recommend getting a BMW expert to do the install - the fault codes need to be cleared as well. Don't forget that you get what you pay for - a $65 USD MAF is most likely inferior quality and only worth $65 USD (even in aftermarket products, there is a vast difference in price and quality)...

Who did the quote for you? A dealer, or independent BMW expert like Botany Motor Worx or BM Workshop? The camshaft sensor price sounds about right for the installed price - mine was in the same ballpark from memory (although it didn't stop me driving it - just went into a safe engine map until replaced).

I'd recommend getting a BMW expert to do the install - the fault codes need to be cleared as well. Don't forget that you get what you pay for - a $65 USD MAF is most likely inferior quality and only worth $65 USD (even in aftermarket products, there is a vast difference in price and quality)...

Chris at BMWorhshop quoted me the price

Can do both alot cheaper.