Sign in to follow this  
snolan

Tyres are rubbing

Hi guys,

On my e30 we have 16" wheels, ideally I'd like to go to 15" but have not got the funds to do so yet. I needed new tyres, they had 195/45 on them, but due to scarcity i had to go to 205/50 and now they rub against the shocks, has anyone got any smart ideas?

If the tyres are rubbing with the larger size tyres on... I would suggest you talk to the tyre fitter and get the right size for your wheels

It would be illegal, but you could use a small spacer.

If 205/50 is rubbing, the 16s aren't really the right offset.

Get rid of the tyres youve just bought before you ruin them on the shocks, flick the 16's you have now which are clearly not the right offset. Buy some standard bottlecaps with tyres for peanuts and buy some proper wheels and tyres when you have the coin.

Sorted.

Hi guys,

On my e30 we have 16" wheels, ideally I'd like to go to 15" but have not got the funds to do so yet. I needed new tyres, they had 195/45 on them, but due to scarcity i had to go to 205/50 and now they rub against the shocks, has anyone got any smart ideas?

go straight back to the shop you go them from! The car should never have left the building if the tyres are rubbing!

^ while the shop shouldnt have fitted them with the rubbing its more a fault of the rim being the wrong offset. 205/50R16 is not tricky to fit on an e30, those rims must be way off.

Oh come on ! - the guy took his car with the wheels fitted to a shop and expected a reasonable level of professionalism. Tyres that rub on suspension are not a reasonable standard of service.

I agree with that, but the point I was trying to make was that the wheels are clearly wrong for the car.

If it was my car and I was on a budget I would be putting the stock tyres on, not poorly fitting rims with undersized tyres to make them work

edit: pretty much as penry said it actually

Edited by Mike

I wouldn't blame the tyre guys too much as I just took the wheels in as I was removing a broken wheel bolt, somehow that passed a warrant before I got it. I'm going to put standard wheels back on atleast until I can get some decent 15" with the correct offset. Thanks for your help guys.