Sign in to follow this  
Nobimmer

E36 gone limp

1992 E36 318i auto.

So a couple weeks ago while driving home some spray cans in my boot rolled onto the battery,shorted,and caused a fire in my boot. Managed to put the fire out withing 30 seconds and it looked as if only the carpet and speaker wires etc were burnt. And the battery was f**ked obviously.Macguivered a new ground wire to the battery and drove home. Car drove completly normal considering what had just happened. Left the car in CBF mode for a week or so and yesterday moved it onto the street so I could get the E30 outta the garage.Today when I put in a new ground wire to the battery and started it, just went into limp mode, drove fine and no visual signs of anything wrong, just would stay in 3rd gear and the lil orange light with an ! and a gear around it came on.

Anything I should look out for?If it's anything major I probably wont even bother because TBH the car is a POS so will probly just flog it off.

But if theres anything small and common that I can fix it with it would be much appreciated.

Cheers

Ashkan

Unplug your battery, cross the positive and the earth togeather and it should discharge the capacitors in the gearbox ECU or whatever, then connect the battery back together. Do that or just leave the battery disconnected for an hour or so.

Happened the other day to my mate and that fixed it.

DISCLAIMER: This could be a bad idea but it's worked for us before. Not my fault if car go boom boom.

Edited by Mark247

Car has already gone boom boom, may aswell try haha.