Sign in to follow this  
Shady

No Reverse Lights? '88 E30

Have passed 2 WOFs and 1 of them was to remove a Pinky and no one asked or even cared that the Reverse Lights didnt work. Was told by some jokers on Trademe MB that these older models dont require RL's for WOFs so I removed the Bulbs but yeah didnt get asked by 2 different Inspectors. But since its bound to reduce my resale value, would anyone know why it may not work? I am Not asking for a complete Diagnosis as thats impossible thru the net, but just any kind of ideas?

Been told it could be:

-Connection in gearstick/box? But I dont see any lose wires.

-Bulbs, but they are fine, just removed them.

-Wire in the actual tail light assembly, but nothing is missing or disconnected.

-Fuses - but checked them all & none are blown.

So what else could it by - just off the top of your head? Is this a common problem with the E30's or '88s or 318i's? I wil take to a Sparky one day when I have the $$ but would like to try solve problem myself first if possible, to save some $$.

And the Pinky WOF Inspector said I needed a HiStop Light which I installed then all good. But never said a word about the RL's - so seems pretty cocky. Cares about 3rd Brake but not RLs...odd.

Edited by Shady

I dont think I have ever had the reverse lights checked either - are they actually a wof item? As for your problem, you really need to have a multi meter (a DickSmith job is perfect) and check the power and ground circuits at the bulb and wherever the reverse light switch is on the gearbox (from memory, its underneath somewhere but could be wrong on this). It is probably a corroded connection or broken wire if the fuse is ok)

Edited by ducatiss

Oh yeah, I'll look into that cheers. And when I had my Pulsar, the WOF guy would go "reverse please" etc when checking tail lights - but with this car, both guys didnt even ask or say anything so just curious. :mellow:

its most likely the inhibitor switch. Mine are like this, but can be fixed by pulling hte gear lever to the drivers side when reversing, weird i know but obviously just a loose connection.

Excuse me for interrupting, dont you say 'bump' when you do that?

Here in Western Australia; you buy a car as roadworthy & you need never ever again have it tested for roadworthiness. Thats right, no WOF required.

But if you let your registration lapse. you have to put the vehicle over the pits...

There are some rust buckets getting around, old falcons etc you could put a boot thru the rust holes.

The cops may issue a yellow(?) sticker if they pull you up & conduct a cursory examination on the roadside, then you will need to put it over the pits...

Pretty scary really!

Imagine how many cars don't have brakes? Leaky exhausts etc...?

They have a 3rd party insurance which is compulsory, paid for on your annual relicensing fee $500~

But as far as I can know, if your'e out of license, you're not covered.

Think it's more of a health insurance, rather than vehicle...

If you are involved in an accident with a drinking driver, their insurance will not pay, you have to pursue the driver thru civil courts...

Funny place this, strange rules etc. can tell the poms have been here!!!

B M W- thats pretty odd...and sounds quite rediculous too. But I guess if the cops suspected the car was dodgy theyd do the inspection. For example, if my sack was over there I'd get pulled up everyday and get an inspection, man I'd be debt paying for Inspection fees weekly lol! My car is legal (now) in NZ Standards but wouldnt have a clue in Aus Standards though.

As for requiring reverse lights for WOF: If a light (any light) is fitted - it MUST work.

Possible for any fault you mentioned but more likely reverse light switch on gearbox (not inhibitor switch) Need a test light or meter to trace fault

As for requiring reverse lights for WOF: If a light (any light) is fitted - it MUST work.

Possible for any fault you mentioned but more likely reverse light switch on gearbox (not inhibitor switch) Need a test light or meter to trace fault

Thats what I thought, if its there it has too work. But both times they never said anything, even when I went to get my Pinky removed which means they had to be really Hard (they failed me on a crocked light & no hi-stop light lol :rolleyes: ) but car is all legit now.