Sign in to follow this  
kiwi328i

Reset Airbag light advice

Hi,

I removed my instrument cluster, as I had a problem with the indicator not working properly, and chased it to the black repeater thingy under the bonnet, not the stalk mechanism or the instrument cluster. I did muck around with some fuses and I did not disconnect the battery. I also checked and replaced some instrument cluster bulbs. However it has made my airbag light come on. It comes on as per usual, then 'blinks' and stays on for about 3 minutes then goes out. It does this perfectly. From what I can gather, my car is 'fine', I do believe I just need to have it reset.

Question 1, Can I just have it reset, without having it diagnosed?

Question 2, Does it pay to, i.e just reset and not diagnosed?

Question 3, legally, as my WOF is coming up soon, the fact that it does go out some 3 minutes after, does this satisfy the WOF requirements?

Question 4, Where do you advise I get this reset done? I live in West Auckland, even if I do get the next WOF, I would rather not have to talk to the inspector every time.

I could be going around this the wrong way, your thoughts please.

Cheers.

Lionel

I would definately suggest having it Diagnosed, then if nothings wrong, Reset.

As it is a major saftey feature of your car,

and you can fail a WoF if the light stays on.

1, Can I just have it reset, without having it diagnosed? = NO

2, Does it pay to, i.e just reset and not diagnosed? = NO

3, legally, as my WOF is coming up soon, the fact that it does go out some 3 minutes after, does this satisfy the WOF requirements? = NO

4, Where do you advise I get this reset done? I live in West Auckland, even if I do get the next WOF, I would rather not have to talk to the inspector every time. = You wont get a WOF till its fixed

I can look at it for you next week.... just give me a call on Monday 2722546

Thanks Glenn, will call you Monday.

Cheers.

Lionel

Had the same thing happen a few days after I brought my old car whuch was a 98 320i.

The dealer paid to get it fixed, Its was the sensor under the seat. cost just under a grand to get it done thru Jeff Grey BMW.

They said its often caused by having lots of crap under the seats and/or kneeling on them.

Get it fixed properly - seems to be a fault with alot of e36's

Edited by braeden.

Had the same thing happen a few days after I brought my old car whuch was a 98 320i.

The dealer paid to get it fixed, Its was the sensor under the seat. cost just under a grand to get it done thru Jeff Grey BMW.

They said its often caused by having lots of crap under the seats and/or kneeling on them.

Thanks Braeden. I have read much on this, and I hope it aint that. I have the fully electric, heated leather seats, so I really dont want to be working on them at all. Being what they are, you are lucky to get your feet under them if you are sitting in the back anyway, but who knows. I hope not, but you do lean on them hard I guess when working in the dash area. I guess the diagnostic will let me know, and as soon as I do, I will post the findings, in the hope it may help others.

Cheers.

I had the same problem, fixed under mechanical warranty luckily enough.

Ended up being the sensor control unit rather than the sensor mat itself though, but I was told the sensor mat is another common E36 fault (getting a bit sick of hearing that phrase LOL)

My airbag warning light was constantly on rather than going out after 3 minutes though.

Edited by Wom

I had the same problem, fixed under mechanical warranty luckily enough.

Ended up being the sensor control unit rather than the sensor mat itself though, but I was told the sensor mat is another common E36 fault (getting a bit sick of hearing that phrase LOL)

My airbag warning light was constantly on rather than going out after 3 minutes though.

In case someone is searching this, or if anyone is curious to know what happenned, I went to Glenn, plugged it into the diagnostic, and it did bring up a couple of codes which looked japanese to me. Something to do with power or something, but Glenn cleared it, I crossed my fingers and what do you know its been cleared. I didnt think I did too much wrong, but I think playing around with the electrical system around the dash, fuses and dash bulbs set this one off. In any case as far as I can see its not a diy to reset the flippin thing, so you have to go to Glenn.

Moral of the story, you can only go so far with diy before you are driving into a garage with a BMW. I have done my waterpump, tensioners, plugs, aircon pump and numerous other bits and pieces and who would think, changing a dashlight bulb would have me visting Glenn.

Oh yeah, thanks Glenn. Choice bro.

glad it wasn't anything too serious

the mechanic tried clearing the fault in my car but the airbag light just kept coming back on straight away ... thank goodness for the mechanical warranty!!