Sign in to follow this  
JFry

Engine troubles

Hey guys,

My 97 320i hasn't been running too sweet as of late:

1) idle, often seems like it is misfiring and at low revs also, but when I'm still in neutral can give it a bit of gas (only to about 800rpm) and it will even itself out and go back to misfiring when I release it.

2) High revs (3k+) smokes quite a bit and doesn't sound very smooth (feels ok though).

3) Sometimes can misfire(?) low revs and lose most of the power, but is usually very smooth and normal.

Took it in to Jeff Gray BMW to check this out and when I went to pick it up they said that they didn't even hook it up to all their flash machines etc. because they noticed the high revs thing (I hadn't noticed this until then) and they thought it was an internal problem, valve or some such.

Just wondering if this seems a bit weird to you guys as I have no real experience with engines.

Thanks

Jeff

I would have expected them to at least given you a better explanation as to what was actually wrong. How can you now decide what to do with your car when you dont actually know whats wrong and how much it would cost to fix ? Are you sure thats all they said, or is there more to it than what you have told us ?

They didn't say much else (wasn't talking to one of the mechanics), only other thing was that it would probably be a cheaper option to put a second hand engine in.

From talking to them it didn't sound like they had been looking at it for very long, maybe just started it up and came to that conclusion, seemed a little odd to me.