Sign in to follow this  
skuxbeemadelux

1990 318i wont start

as above it runs fine but after long trip ill go to start it and all dash lights etc come up but it wont turn over or anything at all.you just turn the key and nothing at all.

any help?

Had same problem on my first E30.

Starter motor was stuffed.

Or fan belts come off and you've run the battery flat? Happened to me.. Lol.

no alarm,no mods etha.just standard e30 318i.

fan belts all tight also battery has full charge etc its just after long trips u turn the key and heres nothing but dash lights still there etc. then after bout 30min itl randomlly start.

Could be the main power relay on it's way out, it's behind the cover on the firewall in the engine bay, the white one if I remember correctly.

sounds more like a starter problem, next time it wont start pour cold water over the starter to cool it off, if it starts then its the starter most likely

A bit late for a reply now. But check your battery connections. The small connection on my main POSTIVE connection was lose, and same happened to me. Took me & 2 mates 20mins to figure it out after one of the saw a spark. Check your battery connections next time.

auto? probably one of hte more unlikely options but possibly be a faulty inhibitor switch.

Think the inhibitor switch is like a little white box about 2cm square with wires going into and out of it at different ends, located in the consul under your gear selector, maybe the wiring is dodgy or something. Im a wiring nooooob but just trying to help.

Think the inhibitor switch is like a little white box about 2cm square with wires going into and out of it at different ends, located in the consul under your gear selector, maybe the wiring is dodgy or something. Im a wiring nooooob but just trying to help.

ok will have a look tomorrow man see what find, hope its that though getting annoying now lol!

With respect - take it to an auto sparky. There have been suggestions made here but sounds as though you are stabbing in the dark on this.

Probably a 5 min diagnosis for someone who knows & with the car on hand