Sign in to follow this  
kurtyb

my e30 is DEAD!

since i bought my e30 about a month ago it has been running like a dream... till now, i jumped in and the car is completely DEAD. on the dashboard only the battery light comes on.. i did some hunting and found that fuse 10 the (7.5) Instruments, on-board computer, reversing lights, Service Indicator fuse keeps blowing once i turn the key to ignition!? but sometimes it starts perfect? and other times it blows while im driving? all the instruments shut off except for the speed and kms....what could caused that? iv gone through 10 7.5 amp fuses now

oh may i add that i got annoyed at it and put a 15 amp fuse in and it ran for about 2min then smoke gathered in my cabin area hmph now when i put in the 7.5 amp fuse in, it doesn't blow but the engine sounds like its blown? maybe iv fried components in the comp?

PLEASE HELP! it would be much appreciated

Could be a problem anywhere & not necessarily easily diagnosed on here.

Best get it checked by an auto sparky.

And, no sarcasim intended -this is why they have ratings on fuses - DONT overate them!

Guest FrantiC

Short to ground somewhere.

Follow wires etc, look under the steering column for any lose wires. Pays to download the electrical manual for your cars year and follow wires... It's a pain in the rear type of job, I have done it before I used to have my fuses blowing and I chucked in a 30A fuse and the problem went away lol definitley not recomended though,

Doesn't stereo also run off the same fuse ? (#21 IRRC). If so try unplug that.

When I removed the stereo that came in my car, the wires had been soldered + taped, the tape had started to unstick, though had not shorted.

Don't put bigger fuses in if you have a problem like this, people!

The fuse is rated for two purposes - to protect your electrics if there is a problem like a short, and more importantly to blow when the circuit is overloaded.

This second one is the important one. If you put in a fuse that is too large, instead of the fuse blowing, the weakest link "blows" instead - the wiring in the circuit. Which will then catch fire and you'll lose your entire car. The insurance company are unlikely to pay out on a car fire if the at-fault circuit has been fused with a fuse higher than the manufacturers rating.

Fuses are there for a reason.