Sign in to follow this  
martyyn

318is thermostat and gasket

I have the old thermostat out but in taking the housing out the gasket tore. Is this something I can just line up and put back on temporarily until I can get a new gasket or am I out of luck and I need the gasket before I can put it back together again ?

Does anyone know if its a BMW only item ? This will teach me to think I can just sneak it in whilst the wife takes the kids swimming !

I have the old thermostat out but in taking the housing out the gasket tore. Is this something I can just line up and put back on temporarily until I can get a new gasket or am I out of luck and I need the gasket before I can put it back together again ?

Does anyone know if its a BMW only item ? This will teach me to think I can just sneak it in whilst the wife takes the kids swimming !

i would think a new thermostat would come with a new gasket...ask Paul....

Nope, only the rubber ring came with it. If Id needed the gasket I wouldve though Jeff Grey wouldve said 'oh and you'll need this $5 gasket aswell just to be safe'.

I guess I was wrong :(

replace the paper gasket with abit of liquid gasket, you get it in tubes for about 12 bucks at repco and the likes, imo its better that a paper gasket anyway

Guest FrantiC

I'm not sure what the m42 thermostat is like but yeah usually just needs the rubber ring isn't it (well m20 anyways). But yeah RTV or anaerobic gasket sealants work all good.

I think the gasket is normally purchased in addition to the thermo. When Page did mine about a month ago they charged me seperatly for it ($16)

Would have thought Jeff Grey would tell you it should be replaced at the same time :wacko:

A quick trip to repco and I now have gasket paper and gasket sealer, so now for a MacGyver-styles thermostat housing gasket :)

Don't forget your swiss army knife, duct tape and mullet to do it properly.

Edit: slurring my type....

Edited by elmarco