Sign in to follow this  
pjay

Slight shudder

Hey guys, I noticed something odd over the weekend and on the way to work today. When idling (around 700 RPM) there's a slight shudder. Now this isn't all the time, only sometimes. No difference whether hot or cold. Also the shudder sticks around until about 1200rpm, once again only sometimes. And once held at 1200, it doesn't return again once dropped back to idle. Its really quite intermittent.

I've checked my idle hose thing on the intake, as I had a problem with it popping off once off before but its sealed and ok.

I'm actually thinking its possibly something under the car, ie: the drive shaft or something.

Are there any common problems that spring to anyones mind? Or what should I check next?

Cheers

Dizzy cap comes to mind :P

Seriously though... does it happen at rest or only when your driving?

Could be an ignition coil, camshaft or crankshaft position sensor fault.

Can check it for you if you like

Hahaha, no I don't think its my dizzy this time. That was removed for more horsepowers

I've noticed it once while driving. Just this morning. I'd appreciate that. I still need to get rid of that oil cooler and change the A/C belt also.

This may be out of left field but I had this exact same thing happen to me about 4 months ago. I felt a very slight shudder at idle was like this for about a week. Long story short driving home all sorts of sounds all of a sudden as water pump bearing gave way.

Not saying this is your problem but something worth checking, A good yank around on the fan and you will notice any major play.

Edited by M-Spec

Thanks M-Spec. I'll check that.

Also check that your radiator fan hasnt got a blade missing as i had this problem with mine !!

im having the same sort of problem at the moment mate (although on an e30) but it has turned out to me that my resonator in im exaust has given way , hard to explain why it does it but it might be as simple as that.

Would that make the car sound different then?

Mine sounds no different

Cheers I'll listen for one. Will update tomorrow morning with my finds

thought i'd add something i completly forgot about last night, a guy from work had the same problem in his e36 318i , turned out to be a stuffed pcv valve , dont ask me how or why it does this haha , a simple way to check is to take the oil filler (710 cap if its upside down) and put your hand over the hole , and if it sucks your hand in or blows it off it could be that.

Glen may be able to advance on this to tell me if im on the right track.

Didn't have tome to check it this morning unfortunately due to getting ACDC tickets before rushing to work. I'll update tomorrow morning again

EDIT:

Whoever said check the fan.. Give that man a pie! ... GOLDBRO!! Youre awesome. Who's awesome? You're awesome.

Now to call Ray. Might as well collect new seals and other bits while I'm up there too..

Thanks guys

Edited by Pjay