Sign in to follow this  
Shady

E30 318i '88 - Theromstat?

Hey, anybody able to tell me where I can find this (in the engine) and how to replace it? Im sure I need to do it, as temp guage goes all over the place & I have no idea what previous owner has done (eg maintenance) and I have decided to start doing work to it myself. Have just done the Fanbelt (didnt read how, just done it haha, good on me & car going fine) . Just need info on the Thermostat? :rolleyes:

It's behind the radiator return pipe on the front of the head below the distributor, 3 x 10mm bolts, easy as.

It's behind the radiator return pipe on the front of the head below the distributor, 3 x 10mm bolts, easy as.

Thanks SF! Will go have a look now, if I figure it out, will try do tomorrow. Thanks

I assume I need to drain the radiator, as the water goes thru it? Or can I block it some how?

You'll lose a little water out the front, but I don't drain to do the thermostat. If you don't drain it, it's easier to refill and bleed.

How do you bleed it? Would of thought you'd just put new one in & put back together and start her up?

There's a bleed screw on top of the same fitting you're taking off to do the thermostat. After you've done the thermo, fill the radiator and run the engine till the thermo opens, then open the bleed screw until it runs straight water with no bubbles coming out, then do it up.