Sign in to follow this  
Shady

Suspension rattles?

E30 '88 318i.

Have just (well a few weeks ago) put lowered springs in, all captive etc as passed a Pinky WOF. But car makes rattling noises & knocks etc but cant tell if its from the Front Left or Rear Left (sorry!) But I know its coming from the LEFT Side (driverside makes no noises at all!) But anybody know what it could be? What I should be looking at to figure it out? What other info can I supply to help?

I know all bolts are TIGHT as I done it myself, and as I said, it passed a Pinky WOF so surely nothing is dodgy!? Anybody know what it could be?

I have on factoryl 14" rims with good as-new tyres & 32psi all round.

And also....

How do I flush the powersteering system? I need to fully flush it as when I got it, the fluid was BLACK (alsmost like it was used engine oil!) So I sucked out as much as I could (using a bottle, not my mouth :mellow: ) and didnt do bugger all. Anybody able to give me instructions on how to flush it?

Edited by Shady

Bad rear shock mounts in the boot, or bad upper strut bearing at the front. The first is most common.

Or it could be your spring pads in the rear, double check you put them back in

Yep they are back in. I will jack car up tomorrow (if sunny) after work and take some photos of front & back. See if any of you notice something not quite right?

Aaah. Got it! The bottom spring pad on the froint left was not on properly. Just twisted the spring (yes, was very tight but I did it) and the pad then sat properly. Went for a nice long drive and the knocks & rattles are now gone. As simple as that! :huh: I think I should replace all the pads (front & back) anyway as they are all pretty shot. Cheers for the suggestions guys :)

Does anybody know who would sell new pads for my springs? I might as well buy new pads for every spring, so I know they are all good. I got some "spacer pads" but I dont want them, as they will raise my car up which I dont want. I just want normal pads, to replace the old factory ones.