Sign in to follow this  
volcanoblack

Are there light bulbs in the E36 light switch

Topic says it all - I have no lights on the dashboard light switch. Are there supposed to be lights on it and the fog light switches (buttons)?

I read the Chilton online repair DIY about taking the switch out, but it does not mention or show a light bulb. Searched the forum here too and found nothing.

Thanks.

Yeap, there is one, relatively easy to replace. Just did mine (not very much from the dealer)

Well worth doing, looks great at night.

Yes, there is a little bulb in there. I replaced mine.

Google is your friend. http://www.bmwe36blog.com/2008/02/29/fixin...lumination-diy/

Hi Nick,

Thanks for the link to the light bulb replacement. that website looks very interesting - I'll have to spend some more time there when I get some free time. Bookmarked!

I Google almost everything seems like, except this subject, thought of posting on the forums first and sure enough you came through. Will pull it out tomorrow and order a bulb from dealer. (I live in Golden Bay, and I know that no one here will have that bulb.)

Oh also - nice car and nice photo!

Cheers.

Edited by volcanoblack

Sweet as man. Don't mind getting these links, I have a huge library of DIY's.

The bulbs are pretty cheap from the dealer. Something definitely worth fixing IMO. That website has a lot of good DIY's, and a lot of good information.

And cheers man. Appreciate it :)

Don't spend money at the dealer on those bulbs, you can get them at Super Cheap. Just take the old bulb with you to match it up.

The bulb in the light switch is the same as the ones in the heater controls (if you have an early E36 with dial-controls) and the ashtray light. Buy a couple just in case, they're less than 2 bucks each.

As above yes there's a bulb in the light switch, quite common for it to blow due to it being on full time. But the fog light switches do not light up.