Sign in to follow this  
ThreeOneEight

Possessed E30 Electrics

My 1990 318i has developed a couple of weird electrical glitches. Firstly, the Hi-Stop light stays on all the time when the ignition is on. Secondly, whenever I put my foot on the brake, indicate, or engage reverse, my stereo dies. Both are very annoying.

Does anyone have any idea why? I'm stumped.

Ta,

Will

Did the hi stop work correctly before - ie - has it just started doing that? Probably incorrectly wired - earth?

Second fault certainly sounds like an earth issue. Was anything done to the car before these faults occured?

Did they both occur at the same time?

Nothing has been done to the car, bar the installation of an alarm and immobiliser (by installer services) last year. The stereo fault has developed over time; first, it would turn itself off if a volume higher than 18 was selected, then the problem when the indicators/ brake lights etc developed over the last month. I only noticed the high stop problem last night, but as far as I know, it always worked correctly.

I'd say take it to an Authorised BMW Repairer. But for a quick fix for the histop light, try disconnect the wire. As for the radio, thats where it becomes a Sparkies job.

its either a bad earth or shorting inside a loom, best bet to clean up all relevent earths and checked the high stop wires.

Nothing has been done to the car, bar the installation of an alarm and immobiliser (by installer services) last year. The stereo fault has developed over time; first, it would turn itself off if a volume higher than 18 was selected,

Classic case of a bad connection on either the power or the earth side.

Voltage drops rises as current draw increases, until radio cuts out.

Check all connections, and measure them!

So it was a faulty brake light switch, and the amplifier was poorly earthed and the stereo plug had consequently eaten itself. Oh well, new stereo arriving soon!

The brake light switch was $65, the labour (including removing a busted stereo and amp) was about $75. Hutt City Auto Electrical, always been impressed with their work. Will be taking it back to have the new stereo system fitted.