Sign in to follow this  
PeteG

Totally Gutted...

So I Just bought a 89 318i, Black in mint condition, came with a manuel conversion kit (still to go in), lowered on Legal springs and what we think are M struts (still to check markings) All good, that is for about 2 weeks.

Im on the motorway on the way to work cueing up to get off the motorway when a punk in a Toyota Celica comes over the hill behind me doing mach one in the rain. :drugs:

Im the unlucky guy at the back of the cue totally stopped. Its funny how much you do in that final second before the crash. I saw the lane to the right was clear and started to pull away, unfortunately wheel spinning in the rain but fortunately enough speed to get the car moving forward which made the impact not so bad.

First words out of my mouth when I got out of the car... "What the hell were you thinking!! You were going way too fast for the conditions.." :angry:

He said.. "No, not too fast, road too wet"..

Then it all hits. He has no insurance.

Now two months down the track. My insurance company will not pay out until he has signed a liability form (as no witnesses because no one wanted to stop as it was raining, and as usual when you want cop they arent around).

He has the forms and I ring him every week. Tonight I rang and I get a "This number is not permited to recieve calls". I ring Vodafone to find out what it means and they said its usually when someone is out of credit and has left the country. (Asian student gone home after Uni had finished.)

So now when I hear that someone has no insurance I get so angry. They reacon that like 1 in 5 cars in auckland is not insured.

Moral of the story... Get insurance. IF you can afford it get full cover. If you are hit by an unisured driver get the cops to come. Always have a charged cellphone (mine went flat at the scene so couldnt dial *555). Some insurance companies (like mine FinTel) will pay out on 3rd party when you are hit by uninsured drivers, but the people who hit you need to admit liability before it pays out.

Luckily the damage isnt too bad and I have a good parts guy that I go to, but still has about 1000 bucks damage according to Panel Shops. Im probably going to be the guy that pays for this at the end of the day. Panel Shops said I was lucky to be driving a BMW as I would not have had anything worth calling a car if it had been a Jappa.

Long story but I had to vent and I only just found the Bimmer forum tonight and I didnt want to post a BMW post on Toyspeed.

Later.

B) I've had the same problem when I was in NZ. You've got to get "heavy" with these people. Be threatning, if you can't get the coppas to come. Give 'em a pen and piece of paper and make them sign their name.

Here in Japan, some jappa hit my E46. I made this dude come with me to the ATM machine and take out about one grand (damage was like minor $400 job). After I got the money I left him there at the bank and told him to walk (like 50mins on foot to his car).

You gotta be hard on these fools with no insurance, and even if they've got insurance, should try to get cash upfront (makes things easier). If they're young, make them park their car, and drive them to their home, and deal with parents or guardian (for 'em asians).

guttered to hear bout that dude.

wat was the guys number plate can see where its registered and pay them a visit

hope the bugga is still in nz

gud luk

B) Totally agree with peter g on this one. Best to take a buddy and pay them or whoever was responsible for them whilst they were in NZ. I understand that Asian students (minors), must have a guardian in NZ (eg: pay some dude on the dole a $100 to be their guardian). But this person bear full responsibility for their actions regardless if being in NZ now or not. Another option is to find out their nationality and pay their embassy a visit, and issue a complaint.

Insurance (third party) should be compulsory. It should form part of the annual registration fee, that would mean that everyone would be covered in incedents such as Pete's.

However there will still be idiots who drive around in unregaistered cars...but there is bugger all anyone can do about that.

Cheers

go non insurance.

its the win.

nah it would be alot better if companies came to the party and didnt charge a left testicle for a year, or for that matter would actually insure you in the first place!!

He said.. "No, not too fast, road too wet"..

:banghead: LMAO at this one!

Sorry, feel your pain bro, but that has to be one of the stupidest quotes of the year, want a c**t!.

Edited by bravomikewhiskey

Bad luck bro. I totaly agree with Grant..

if you can't afford insurance you can't afford to be on the road, bring on the compulsury 3rd party most other developed nations have.

um that just happend to my brother on the on ramp to the motorway in new market after picking up his girlfriend some one rear ended his and they didnt even stop they took off so my brother chased them but lost them in the traffic

if i wer in ur situation and found out he got no insurance id go into my boot get out the jack and start smashing his car with it and say sorry dude i dont hav insurance either what are u gunna do .. cos u wer planing on not doing any thing about my car after u crashed inot it so im not gunna do any thing bout yours !! :lol:

yea true if u cant affoerd insurance u shouldnt be on the road

even tho no insurance companies will cover me with full insurance on da bimmer but 3rd party at least so if u look at it from a better point of veiw its a lot cheaper than having to pay for damages to a brand new 7 for the next 20 years of ur life

i know some one who in the 80's hit a brand new at the time merc s-class and it was a write off and had no insurance so they had to pay to replace it every week until it was paid off, nd i think it was just paid off in 1999

That sucks mate, but those Asian students without a NZ drivers licence shouldn't be allowed on our roads anyway. They are f**king terrible drivers.

Theres a guy at my school from Korea whos been here since 4th form, but has gone thru the NZ system, and is now on his full. Thats how they should do it, none of this 1 year to get settled bullshit.

Guest Andrew

That sucks man - hope you can get your car repaired without too much of a dent in the wallet.

Keep on 'em Pete.

Most insurance companies have the discretion to meet a claim like this if it is clear that liability falls with an identified third party. That doesn't mean getting a signed statement from them, its a judgement call. FinTel doesn't have the most enviable reputation when it comes to claims.

On your next contact make sure you ask them about all your avenues for complaints & resolution. Make a written complain, go through the mangagement chain, disputes tribunal, and if need be the banking & insurance ombudsman.

Good luck.