Sign in to follow this  
Jezza

M20B25 head or 2.7e head

Hey guys

I just thought I would put my hat out there to see if anyone has one of these lying around that they no longer need. It doesn't need to be in good condition, just capable of being rebuilt. Please let me know if you have something.

Cheers

Jeremy

Hey guys

I just thought I would put my hat out there to see if anyone has one of these lying around that they no longer need. It doesn't need to be in good condition, just capable of being rebuilt. Please let me know if you have something.

Cheers

Jeremy

I have a couple of 200 casting heads.

i have a head from a 87 525e . might have a crack , but was recently reco'd

papakura

You want a b25 or b27 head? These are very different heads. I have a cracked "885" (325) head here, all the gear, cam, rockers, valves are currently out of the head.

Edited by QuickSilver

I believe I am after a b27 head (#200) unless someone has done a motor conversion at some point. Is there anyway to tell other than the casting number on the side of the head? I can't see it due to the manifold being in the way.

Ive done a motor conversion, what exactly are you doing here? Building a 2.7 stroker, rebuilding a stock 2.7, or rebuilding a stock 2.5

Stroker - you need either the b20 or b25 head. (The casting for the b20 escapes me at present I think it is *231* and the casting for the b25 is *288*

For a stock 2.7 rebuild you will need the *200* casting head.

For a stock 2.5 rebuild you will need the *288* head.

There is a difference between all these heads. The *200* has the smallest ports, soft valves, etc etc to stop the motor from reving past a certain RPM. This is the 2.7 head.

The *231* has bigger ports, stiffer valves etc etc. This is the 2.0 head. (This head can be used in conjunction with a b27 block without issue as both the *200* and *231* heads share the same combustion chamber design.

The *288* head is the best of the lot, it has a largest ports, double valve springs, and better gear in general. This is the 2.5 head. This head also has a different combustion chamber design and corresponds with the 325 pistons, they are dished and domed, and the head corresponds with this. When building the stroker most people use a combination of 325 pistons, with b27 block and 325 (288) head.

M20b25 885 head,u can put 320i "731"head to convert the ETA.but 885 it the best choice,bigger inlet and outlet valve.

It's a stock 2.7 rebuild. Cambelt snapped when P.O. had it. Quick easy head swap..

Perfect, then all you need is the "200" casting.

Edit: Thanks Jeddy after a while everything merges into one number and I forget everything haha.

Edited by QuickSilver