Sign in to follow this  
CLOUD19

E36 Help

Gidday guys,I dont really know alot about bmw's but am desperately wanting some info.I own a 91 E36 316 NZ assembled thats 5 speed manual.Its done around 200,000 clicks and the motor is 'average' and want to know if a 320 or 325 can be dropped in without to much drama and will the manual box mate up?Also where could i source the parts neccesary for the conversion and at what ballpark cost?Any info would be a great help.. Cheers. B)

Those cunning boys at bmw make their cars so you can easily switch things around, however, 4cyl engines don't mate with 6cyl engine g/boxes and vice versa, so you'd have to find a 6cyl g/box if you stick in a 6er.

You could find yourself a 318 engine, that'd give you a fair bit more stink, and if you're really onto it, find a wrecked 318is and you've got yourself a 1.9 DOHC which has better power to weight ratio than the 320 engine :)

My 2c.

You could find yourself a 318 engine, that'd give you a fair bit more stink, and if you're really onto it, find a wrecked 318is and you've got yourself a 1.9 DOHC which has better power to weight ratio than the 320 engine :)

:thumb:

The wisdom oozes from you grasshopper

or you could just drop a lexus quad cam V8 into it - Theres one in last months NZ perfomace car magazine. Thinking seriously, that would be BAD!!! if and when I blow my 325s motor Im going to do that...

Actually, I should do that to my Hilux as well....

Give Kevin Mosen (BMWarehouse) a call he'll hook you up with the bits you need, don't have his number at hand at the mo but he's in the Hamilton ph bk, my guess is though after doing the m50 conversion on a e30 that you would be better off selling your car and buying a 318is or 325 be a whole lot cheaper and resaleable at the end of the day. :thumb:

BMWarehouse

3 Newton Place

Hamilton

07 8466671

unless u have some huge sentimental attachment to your car or have too much money just buy a 325 or one that someone else has spent a fortune on, altough there is a certain amount of satisfaction in being broke with a car that you built youself.

good luck with whatever you decide there's always plenty of useful advise and tips on here if you do go the re-power

Guest Andrew

BMWarehouse

3 Newton Place

Hamilton

07 8466671

unless u have some huge sentimental attachment to your car or have too much money just buy a 325 or one that someone else has spent a fortune on, altough there is a certain amount of satisfaction in being broke with a car that you built youself.

good luck with whatever you decide there's always plenty of useful advise and tips on here if you do go the re-power

best advice here - get a new car.

I have been down the road of doing what your looking at and yes

Get a new car

It cost more + you have to beef up the front end then you have to get the lot sert ($1K or more)

Edited by CADMAX

a cert is usually only $380ish

Depending what your doing to the car. i.e. if you fixing up the under fide and adding to it then you will find it’s up about $1K ;)

The place where I work dose about 2 per year and that’s what we get charged.

As for the motor change last time I did one it was for a Landover S2 LWB and it was a Holden striate 6 we put in that was about $982+GST

about 2 years a go