Sign in to follow this  
User Name

ITBS for BMW's

Hi Guys

im sure this has being brought up before.

what are the advantages and dis advantages of Having ITB's setup - im more leading towards for my Turbo setup.

but want to know really whats best, as im going to be spending the dollars so whats another $$$ added to the list of pieces for the m30

ive seen some setups and they seem to sound nicer but are there performance gains in any off this or keep it stockish and increase intake inlet and custom intake manifold for better gains

Cheers

Sound, beautiful sound. NA FTW IMO

Edited by Forrest

Not a BMW but Nigel has setup ITB's on his VW from a gixxer or something crazy like that. Might pay to flick him a pm.

nastnas is his handle.

I find it difficult to see how they'd be worth the bother and cost on a car with a turbo (surely lag masks any increase in throttle response), but having said that the RB26DETT (Skyline) and SR20DET (only the GTIR one) had them.

If you run a plenum then your better off running a dual throttle body one to equalise the pressure long the chamber, the biggest problem with the plenum is the fact that the cyclinder furthest from the throttle body tends to recieve less air than the first cylinder, the design of the plenum can help over come this but it's still a flawed system.

The real gains come when there is no plenum and your getting equalized amounts of air between all cylinders. Also it's then easier to also tune the length of the runners for your desired power band also. There is more advantages but a biggie is the equal amounts of air into each chamber..

Single Throttle Body Setup:

Posted Image

Dual Throttle Body Setup:

Posted Image

Yeah but that's all a pain in the arse for a turbo.

If I was spending up, I'd just go for a fabricated plenum with equal length runners and a plenum size designed around my engine / camshaft / turbo choice. As the standard M10 one has shown not to be a hindrance to about > 400hp, I'm not inclined to bother for my application.

Thanks Guys

For the great responce i am definatly going to add this to the ??? mark list - for mods as i know how stupid it sounds but my e28 is like my 2nd baby

gives me enough grief and once completed want it to be a work of art stupid as it sounds its going to cost me the dollars $$$$ so whats a few extra here and there to make her prestine and back into the beauty like it once was.

my big concerns with using the e28 body is the limited space i have so the cleaner i have it look the better. and it needs to be a sleeper car dont want a to out there car - looks dead but is alive with furry

ive got the 4g63t for the fun which once the engines finished ill have to find a shell now that will be a descion and a half.

but thanks guys ill look into my ITB options and go from there

Dunno about turbo applications, but this is why you would want them on a V8:

Mmmmm.

Edited by twisted

yea, as camB suggested it's kinda of waste IMHO for turbo engine.

ITB's are there for

-quick response

-lovely induction sound (coupled with a fat cam)

-top end power

Turbo introduces inherently slow throttle response by far and you also loose the fantastic sound, and with turbo you make power with boost, so n/a restrictions are significantly reduced and instead the main restriction is exhaust backpressure - the rest doesnt really matter, unless you go something really silly, like 1" charge pipe...