Sign in to follow this  
arros

Cracks in aftermarket rims- experiences?

Bought some s/h Schnitzer replicas with tyres for my E39 540 a few weeks back. A few days after putting them on 2 tyres went flat sitting in the garage. Bought a couple of good tyres to swap over (one tyre failed but to nail in sidewall). Guy in tyre shop noticed one crack where the bead seats against the rim. This is due to going over potholes (plus an E39 540 is a heavier car) He said this is very common on replica alloys due to the quality of the build/metal density or whatever (can't remember exactly what he said) of the alloys. Conversely he said rarely has he seen stress cracks on genuine original alloys. I'm guessing my tyres may have gone down due the air leaking through cracks. Will see in a few days what happens. Would be bloody annoyed if it's due to cracks- can be replaired but I've already spent about the limit on what they are worth getting them resprayed so would be well over budget if I had to get the cracks repaired.

I'll be thinking twice about just what replicas I buy in future...

Anyone else had this experience?

I've bought quite a few sets of s/h wheels and have had a few issues. I bought a really nice set of s/h 17" bbs e36 wheels for my coupe and when fitted was like being in the flintstones car. Every wheel was buckled or flat spotted. And more recently a set of s/h Hamann wheels i bought - 1 of them has a large flat spot (although i think this may be due to the way they were transported more than anything)

Having said that i have bought at least another 3+ sets of s/h wheels and has no problems. The funny thing is the cheaper sets i bought were nice and clean and straight!

If you are buying s/h wheels i would strongly recommend viewing them at least first to see if they are striaght and if they have to be transported then make sure they are wrapped well.

In my experience cracked rims are generally due to running under inflated tyres on the wheels.

Italian made rims also tend to be made of a 'softer' alloy than the Asian made rims as well and so are more prone to buckling.

Sometimes replica rims can be stronger than genuine factory wheels. We just took off a set of 19" RS6 wheels that had cracked in the spoke on an Audi and replaced them with our replicas. When you put the wheels side by side there was extra material in the spoke wall on the replica that made it a lot stronger.

Unfortunately when buying 2nd hand it really is a case of buyer beware, and as has been mentioned make sure you check them out before you purchase them. Somtimes it actually works out cheaper in the long run to buy new wheels.

I bought the rims with tyres on them at the time of purchase. Trouble is one can't see crack on the inside if there are present. I was trying to save some $ by getting rims with tyres- probably would not buy s/h rims with tyres in future. I take your point , yes it can be more more costly buying s/h rims versus new.

Guest Ari Gold

Bought some s/h Schnitzer replicas with tyres

Guy in tyre shop noticed one crack where the bead seats against the rim.

He said this is very common on replica alloys due to the quality of the build/metal density or whatever (can't remember exactly what he said) of the alloys.

Conversely he said rarely has he seen stress cracks on genuine original alloys. I'm guessing my tyres may have gone down due the air leaking through cracks.

Another one converted. You get what you pay for, people.

Bought some s/h Schnitzer replicas with tyres for my E39 540 a few weeks back. A few days after putting them on 2 tyres went flat sitting in the garage. Bought a couple of good tyres to swap over (one tyre failed but to nail in sidewall). Guy in tyre shop noticed one crack where the bead seats against the rim. This is due to going over potholes (plus an E39 540 is a heavier car) He said this is very common on replica alloys due to the quality of the build/metal density or whatever (can't remember exactly what he said) of the alloys. Conversely he said rarely has he seen stress cracks on genuine original alloys. I'm guessing my tyres may have gone down due the air leaking through cracks. Will see in a few days what happens. Would be bloody annoyed if it's due to cracks- can be replaired but I've already spent about the limit on what they are worth getting them resprayed so would be well over budget if I had to get the cracks repaired.

Even with crap replicas, you still have to bash the sh*t out of them to crack them. Think of all the rubber and air cushioning those rims. They dont crack for nothing. If its due to dodgey quality control, dodgey materials and dodgey manufacture, then thats something else, and when you buy secondhand there is always that chance. More often than not alloys only need to be visually inspected, but yes it is alot harder to assess with tyres on.

I buy secondhand all the time. I am guessing it just needs to be aluminium welded on the inside, should be cheap enough and wont be seen. You cant silicone it up, cause if its a stress fracture it will just get worse, flat tyres at best, catastrophic at worse.

You cant silicone it up, cause if its a stress fracture it will just get worse, flat tyres at best, catastrophic at worse.

Yep - nobody needs a wheel flying apart at motorway speeds....

Rep wheels are fine for the average person however it totally depends on how the wheel was cast in the first place and the qaulity of the metal.

I had a set of wheels that cost me around 8k .. and they bent all the time if I hit anything that wasn't flat road.

Learn't my lession by buying another set of wheels this time they are forged.

You really do pay for what you get. Lots of junky wheels floating around at the moment.

Best thing you can do is save a little bit longer and get the wheels you really want.