Sign in to follow this  
central3

E46 offset

I'm searching for some info re rim dimensions for my 2003 330i motorsport.

I am looking to change to 19 inch or 18 inch diameter rims, preferably staggers 8.5's and 9.5's'.

My dilema is offset. My MS runs 7.5 x 17 fronts (ET41) and 8.5 x 17 rears (ET50). Looking through previous threads on this topic I have seen 8.5 x 19 ET35 and 9.5 x 19 ET40's recommended.

Doing the sums the fronts look ok but I reckon the rears will foul the guard lip's. With 10mm less offset the outer edge of the rim will be 10mm closer to the guard lip, add to this another 12mm of wheel width and the rim edge is now 22mm further out from the stock position. A quick measure up on the car shows that this would result in the rim edge being in line with the outside of the guard!

Am I missing something here? Any help would be appreciated.

You would then run a tire side wall that is champhered or maybe a mild stretch of 255 width to fine tune the mm vs ride height.

Mine are a 39 offset with a falkin fk-452 265 30% profile rear on 9.5. My gaurds have been pumped out using a hydraulic roller and repainted with but I'd think your bang on with your offset's on a standard setup.

You can always as nick said roll your guards around and get a decent set of champhered rubber to match.

It really is a struggle to get a 9.5" on the rear of a standard E46, especially if you have a sedan. The absolute 100% correct tyre size is to use a 255/30/19, but this can be a very difficult tyre to try and find. Some people will stretch a 235/35/19 onto the rear to give you just a little bit more guard clearance.

If you have your heart set on a 19x9.5 you really need to look for rim with at least a +45 offset so that it sits under the guards, and even then you may have to roll the rear guards slightly. E46's also have a double skinned guard which makes it that much harder to roll the rears.