Sign in to follow this  
Kaz

So I'm thinking about buying an e36...

my 2 cents...

325 motors are a nicer running motor in general and in my point of view. the 2.8's seem to develop the odd vanos rattle or just general rattles and noises even at lower ks (theyre not fkd, just sound like theyre on the piss)

where as the 2.5's just seem to purr.

The jap autos are shithouse but the reason we find out theyre sh*t house is because of the population and traffic issues in japan, there is more starting and stopping through 1st and 2nd and at times 3rd than there is actual driving.. so it wears the box out pretty quickly. You can... get them adjusted believe it or not to smoothen the rough 1st to 2nd gear change, but it WILL come back and eventually need a rebuild or replacement.

If your looking at 97-98 model E36's, a few of them you will notice the led's in the milage reading are all over the show. it doesnt mean its been tampered with, its just a common fault that can be fixed by re-soldering the points on the back of the board.

Automatic-up on the windows play up and go back down - u just hold the UP button hard down and it goes up.

Once you pull the dash apart including the glove box, you will NEVER get the glove box to line up flush again when its shut.

water pumps tend to go on some models ( not sure why or when or how but just heard that one through the bimmersport grape vine)

and the E36 shape/car/paint what ever.. is nitorious! for stone chips. again thats a personal opinion but they do seem to collect the chips very quickly.

Oh and final thing ill say is i personally reckon the E30 is a farrr nicer and ease to drive. and comfortable to be in the drivers seat of. feels like your right at home. E36's dont seem to be as in control of-feeling when driving. But still my favourite bmw other than of coarse the latest M3 and 335i :D

good luck in the purchase dude

This was exactly the kind of info I was after. Thanks a lot :D

no worries man. theres no doubt more little bits and pieces but that just popped into mind when i sore your post. post up some pics when you make the purchase :)

I like the thing about getting some water wetter.

Geeez how wet dose water have to be and how do you get water wetter <_<

The Japanese imported E36's with the M50 and M52 engines + 5 speed auto have a JATCO transmission, basically its rubbish and made for Nissans, I used to have one of these cars, the car ended up having a nasty jerk when changing from 1st to 2nd and sometimes the tranmission went into fail safe mode on me also.

If you get one in auto it needs to have the ZF transmission.

I now have 2x E30's instead of the E36, so it looks like we are total opposites :)

Driving wise, the E36 is of course a more refined car, its also alot heavier, I found mine rather boat like to be honest, however it had 130,000ks on the clock and original suspension, the M SPEC ones have harder suspension and should handle better, they also have nicer more supportive seats in them.

from memory the 318IS has the normal 4 speed ZF auto, even in Jap import form, its not a super fast car or anything, but in 2dr Coupe motorsport trim form they might be nice to drive handling wise.

I have 1994 E36 imported from Hongkong with its manufacture showing on REAL OEM as Europe, is it likely to have the Jatco or ZF transmission, by the way, so far its smooth as no problem since purchase. how can I check, is there a serial# on the casing etc?

Avoid the jap import 5 speed autos like the plague.

How are 4 speed autos? I'm kinda interested in this car, 1993 320i.

from owning my e36

things to look out for:

sagging headlining and door card trim glue.. they all suck.

e36 cooling is a pain. some still have factory plastic water pump that blows up need to replace.

- radiator plastic turns to mush with time.. check upper inlet plastic if its about to go (ask if it have been replaced or still orig)

thermostat housing sometimes cracks with age and need replacing

annoying creaking of steering wheel when turning

a lot more electrical problems than e30.. depends on previous maintenance really

door rubber seals and window seals tend to be worn/ripped

obd pixel on the fritz

coupe window actuator switch tends to be worn and can turn into annoying window going up and down...

hmmm thats the problems ive had in mine so far.... anyone else to add onto that?

Don't buy those wrecked up e36 that has been lowered way too low or have been running on no rear springs... damages a lot underneath and suspension and you'll regret it later with mechanic bills

Edited by Docile

umm well i have a NZ new 96 318i.s manual havnt had any problems i would regard as traumatic enough to need to remember, my alarm stopped but easy enough to replace. and the rest is allgood and im extremly happy with it.

if you want to know how they drive and your in hamilton flick me an email and id be happy 2 give u a test drive of mine to see if you like the 36 feel. otherwise i cant think off the top of my head anything else. apparently the fuel pumps go and for imported the electronics start going at 130000 odd ks.

but mines at 135000 and havnt noticed anything out of the ordinary, dont know maybe nz news diff in that regard

umm well i have a NZ new 96 318i.s manual havnt had any problems i would regard as traumatic enough to need to remember, my alarm stopped but easy enough to replace. and the rest is allgood and im extremly happy with it.

if you want to know how they drive and your in hamilton flick me an email and id be happy 2 give u a test drive of mine to see if you like the 36 feel. otherwise i cant think off the top of my head anything else. apparently the fuel pumps go and for imported the electronics start going at 130000 odd ks.

but mines at 135000 and havnt noticed anything out of the ordinary, dont know maybe nz news diff in that regard

Thanks a lot for the offer but I don't think I'll be around hamilton any time soon.

How are 4 speed autos? I'm kinda interested in this car, 1993 320i.

all the 6cylinder models are a 5spd auto , most jap imports will have the jatco box , nz new & uk imports most will have the zf box both types have the life span of about 150 to 250,000km before they pack up .

save your self the hassles of having to fix them and put up with stupid gear changes etc and buy a 5spd manual car manuals seam to last well over 400,000km .

The problem with the transmission is limited only to the JATCOs, fairly sure they only come in the 5 speed (and only on the 6's) flavour out of Japan....

e: ^^ yeah, what he said :D

Edited by JFry

all the 6cylinder models are a 5spd auto , most jap imports will have the jatco box , nz new & uk imports most will have the zf box both types have the life span of about 150 to 250,000km before they pack up .

save your self the hassles of having to fix them and put up with stupid gear changes etc and buy a 5spd manual car manuals seam to last well over 400,000km .

Oh he said it had a 4 speed auto here.

Oh he said it had a 4 speed auto here.

yea they say that because it has 4 positions on teh gearlever but it goes "2,3,4 drive" so number "2" postion has 1st and 2nd gear in it

post-279-1254724330.jpg

my car is a jap import.. jerks from 1 -2nd at cold start. but probably from needing a service... i would service it but a 95 e36 have mixed trans oil ( lifetime and the normal one)... my trans pan dont got no markings :(.. its just black... can i go to a shop and just get it checked which one it has?