Sign in to follow this  
Linden

Pre F/L 2.5 into F/L 318

Hey guys didnt want to highjack Andrews thread with questions as mine relates to a 318...

Im going to convert my '89 FL m40 auto to a 2.5 Manual from a pre fl, (has dizzy on the front of engine, ive been told some have it on the side..)

I have to drive to dunners in my time off to convert it so want to make sure i have all the extras I need,

Am I able to keep my current FL dash (as it only has 133kms on the car) and use my existing loom (and maybe change the coding plug?) _or_ do i have to use the pre fl/dash from the donor car _or_ maybe use a later ecu like said in Andrews thread

EDIT: UNLESS of course you intend to convert the 325i motor from Motronic 1.1 to 1.3 using the loom you have, then all will work well, all you will need to do is swap the toothed crank pulley from your 320 onto the 325 and install the sensors and plug it all up (and install all the 325 bits, ecu, intake, afm etc etc), then it will all work, including your gearbox. (I'm unsure of your intentions though so yeah)

Should i just get a toothed crank pulley and 325i FL ecu or is my m40 loom still not interchangable with m20's ??

Cheers

Linden

Am I able to keep my current FL dash (as it only has 133kms on the car) and use my existing loom (and maybe change the coding plug?) _or_ do i have to use the pre fl/dash from the donor car _or_ maybe use a later ecu like said in Andrews thread

Dash? The only car side thing you will have to change is the guage cluster, unless you can get a 6cylinder codier plug. Just get the guage cluster out, its a 2 min job swapping them over, and if your worried about k's its pretty easy to wind em back :ph34r:

Should i just get a toothed crank pulley and 325i FL ecu or is my m40 loom still not interchangeable with m20's ??

Think about it, your M40 loom will have 4 fuel injectors, your M20 will need 6, so just buy an M20 loom

When you buy the engine make sure you get the engine side loom, one thing the will save you heaps of time is that if the connection from engine to carside loom is a circle the whole swap will be plug and play, make sure you get engine mounts aswell.

Also radiators might be different, might want to keep an eye out for that

you will need the driveshaft also.

When you buy the engine make sure you get the engine side loom, one thing the will save you heaps of time is that if the connection from engine to carside loom is a circle the whole swap will be plug and play, make sure you get engine mounts aswell.

Also radiators might be different, might want to keep an eye out for that

you will need the driveshaft also.

yeh im pulling everything out of a written off car I just want to know what i can get away without swapping (i ment the guage cluster not the whole dash btw lol)

"connection from engine to carside loom is a circle the whole swap will be plug and play"

so the part of the loom that plugs into the ecu is the same? - I guess im just gunna have to go down and try it all out arent i lol

Mate i have a whole heap of 325 stuff left over from my conversion, like brand new facelift radiator and a engine wiring loom which is complete A/C condenser and heaps of other little things. if your interested give me a text on 0272618440.

Sweet cheers bro i might give you a text tomorrow, cause im prolly going to need tograb a few bits before i head down to dunners on Wednesday

do the m40 starter motor and alternator fit the m20?

Hey so ive got pretty much everything swapped in, I tried to use the M40 starter but im guessing its quite different as it doesnt engage??? or is that just my c101 pins not lining up so it isnt being told to engage??