Sign in to follow this  
dreboi1987

Air con always comes on at engine start

I have a 1998 BMW 318i E46 Import - Murauchi BMW

Problem every time the car starts the "Snowflake" (Air conditioner button) always is on.

I can turn it off and it will stay off whilst I am driving, Then as soon as I shut the engine off and start it up again, it comes back on every time.

I am cool with the climate control coming on at engine start but is there a reason why the air conditioner keeps coming on at every engine start?

No matter how many times I turn it off the Snowflake button that is, it keeps coming back on.

I need some help? Anyone else experienced this? Is it a setting that can be programmed into the car to be turned off so it doesn't come on at engine start :unsure:

It's really frustrating I just want it to stay off, I hardly use the air con anyway.

Will probably be programmed in key memory settings (think A/C is included)

Turn off A/C & reset memory position switch (seats etc) for that key

Will probably be programmed in key memory settings (think A/C is included)

Turn off A/C & reset memory position switch (seats etc) for that key

Thanks for you response. Will I have to take it to a dealer to have this done?

Yep you will. My one does the same, I've learnt to live with it :)

Thanks for you response. Will I have to take it to a dealer to have this done?

Not sure if it is dealer only.

Im thinking using the seat memory controls - along with seats, this setting also controls mirrors & climate control -maybe ac too - not sure as I haven't checked.

Try resetting this with the ac button switched off

Otherwise - dealer only

Our 328i E46 does this too. I think it's the default setting?

^^ Unlikely. Neither of ours did or does it.

Maybe for hot climate imports?? Singapore etc...

Does a 98 318 have electric memory seats??

Air-con setting is part of the key memory. You'll need dealer or special software to reprogram.

I have a 1998 BMW 318i E46 Import - Murauchi BMW

Problem every time the car starts the "Snowflake" (Air conditioner button) always is on.

I can turn it off and it will stay off whilst I am driving, Then as soon as I shut the engine off and start it up again, it comes back on every time.

I am cool with the climate control coming on at engine start but is there a reason why the air conditioner keeps coming on at every engine start?

No matter how many times I turn it off the Snowflake button that is, it keeps coming back on.

I need some help? Anyone else experienced this? Is it a setting that can be programmed into the car to be turned off so it doesn't come on at engine start :unsure:

It's really frustrating I just want it to stay off, I hardly use the air con anyway.

just remember to use the a/c regularly and it will remain in a useable condition.It is nice to have on a hot day,or to keep the windows clear on a damp day when you multiple people in the car...Read the manual

I think there is a post by Jochen somewhere about the settings that are related to "programmeable" functions

Edited by kiwi535