Sign in to follow this  
bmw_guy

e30 cuts out?

Guest MAxx

If your car stopped because the alternator wasnt working it wouldnt start again because the battery would be dead flat.

Get one from Mosens. I have one of an M50 which you can have if it fits but I am unsure if they do. Troy and/or I could put it in for some beers.

EDIT: Hit two birds with one stone and get your girlfriend an m40 alternator for 1 year anniversary prezzy.

+1 lol

Nice Mark

Will yours fit?

If your car stopped because the alternator wasnt working it wouldnt start again because the battery would be dead flat.

And the alternator warning light would be on too. Are you sure the thinner gauge wire on the positive battery teminal (the one that powers the cars electrics not the alternator one) hasn't come loose from the terminal itself even though the terminal is still tight??

To follow this AMAZING INTERESTING THREAD up with a post which might help someone in the futurrrrre: Last week I took off the main earth cable from the oil pump area to the chassis, and sanded all the contact points till shiny (they were quite oxidized), reinstalled nice and tight.

Hasn't happened since.

When dad was looking under my car, he said one of the big earths looked like it would need replaced soon?

Chea :P

Haha yes. Sanding it will also do just fine. Electrons just want a clean suface to move across :D

The symptoms you describe are typical of a bad fuel pump relay.

Ive had this on my old E30, apparently its reasonably common too. Car would cut out while driving, and restart, just like you described. Eventually it stopped and wouldnt restart, thats when I traced it to the fuel pump relay.

Easy as to replace, its like 2 minute job, got a 2nd hand one for $40.