Sign in to follow this  
vyking56

What flavour is my car?!

Hi All,

Can someone help me out - I'm trying to work out exactly what my car is... besides being an E39 540i.

It has the MSport steering wheel, front seats with the extendable thigh supports, seems pretty well packed with electronic goodies as well as a few other minors which I've not seen before on many other E39s I looked at. The number stamped into the strut-tower is: WBADN62000GF10326.

It doesn't have MSport front or rear bumpers and no other badging. Are there different flavours, or is it purely a matter of the original buyer ticking the boxes and ordering the options they want when they order it?? It's an ex-Japan model which came into NZ November 2007.

Cheers,

Gareth

From the photos on a previous thread, it looks like a standard 540 to me, but obviously the original owner ticked a few extra boxes.

Having said that its not hard to swap both the steering wheel and seats for the sport items.

What other 'minors' are you talking about? The e39's are usually a very well optioned car and its only the poor cloth seated, 520 Jap imports that tend to have no toys at all.

Take your vin into a BMW dealer & they'll run the build sheet for you which will tell you exactly what options it came out of the factory with.

Most are happy to do it.

Have a look under your rear seat, there may be a build sheet stapled underneath. It's quite hard to tell what came standard or not without looking at it.

Then check against an option sheet such as this: http://www.bmwe36blog.com/wp-content/uploa...optioncodes.pdf

Also, early sports models could look different to later ones. Perhaps a good read: http://forums.bimmerforums.com/forum/showt...d.php?t=1267863

A BMW can be ordered with whatever witch parts the buyer wants want, your car probably had the M-Sport interior upgrade consisting of the Sport/Comfort seats and M-Tech steering wheel. Nice options.

Jap cars have funny specifications, I have seen 2007 E90’s with what look like E36 Steering wheels with no Audio/Cruise buttons and bench cloth seats.

We have had three E39 and all were vastly different specs depending on years and options, our last had every option fitted.