Sign in to follow this  
Guest FrantiC

Switched +12V source

Guest FrantiC

I need to splice in for power somewhere with a switched 12V source, preferably under the steering column area. Is it safe to use the Green wire from the ignition , which is switched 12V to run my ECU?

Yep, cant remember ign wire colour but as long as the green is true ign (live while cranking) then go for it.

Put a dedicated inline fuse in your circuit too.

Guest FrantiC

Yeah that's what I was kinda wondering, is it not one that goes off when cranking.. Right now I had it wired straight to the battery with an inline fuse and a switch..

Was annoying go to start the car and it just cranks, Gotta remember flick the switch for the ECU <_<

It is the green wire though, the red one is constant +12V. I don't know of any other's I could tap into for switched +12v anyhow, Guy I got it off just said "wire it to the switched +12v aux by the ecu". I was like true......

Switched as in ACC on? or am i just going to make a fool out of myself, If thats what you're after I wired up to the back of the rear demister plug/button in the dash, it was pretty easy as it pops right out

Edited by Linden

Guest FrantiC

I spliced into the green wire, It works allgood. Won't know if it is sufficient (keeps power while cranking) until the motors done..

Would have used that demister if I read this before I did it lol, It doesn't work anyway so would have been ideal.

I spliced into the green wire, It works allgood. Won't know if it is sufficient (keeps power while cranking) until the motors done..

Would have used that demister if I read this before I did it lol, It doesn't work anyway so would have been ideal.

Nup, Youvé done it the best way (at ign switch) - just use a dedicated in line fuse in your new wire.

Using demister circuit would no doubt be sharing with other circuits too on the same fuse (haven't checked), a short in one of those circuits & blowing a fuse causes car to stop due to no power to ECU - not good!