Sign in to follow this  
red89mx

Water leak onto rear seat

Hi All

Anyone seen a water leak onto the edge of the rear seat of an E46 sedan?

It is not a lot and the water stays in a cohesive wee puddle - possibly 5 - 10mm diameter.

I have checked door rubber and surround and see no damage.

Another symptom that makes me thing some moisture is getting in is the time it takes for the air con to clear a fogged from windscreen - sometimes 3 + minutes on a cold evening.

Not sure if this is the correct forum - but seemed a better fit than others.

Some research on the US forums mention door vapor seals and BMW Tech Service Bulletin (510400 JUL 00 Door Sound/Vapor Barrier - Water Leaks ) but cannot find details of the TSB.

Saw a basic u tube video on vapour barrier repair (

) ...but struggle to see how a damaged vapor barrier would get water on the rear seat....unless ran down rear armrest.

Cheers

Alan

If someone has worked inside the door, like fitting a window regulator, they may have damaged the liner seal or not refitted it correctly. This will allow water to get into the car. If the liner is damaged you may have to replace it. They are about $90 and you'll need 2 meters of bonding adhesive to fit it. We come accross this often. The liner must be sealed properly.

Ta Glenn

If the water was in the floor well i could understand it being a vapour seal or similar.

But on the edge of the seat seems too high for a vapour seal prob unless it managed to run down armrest. Location makes it look more like a high leak.

May remove trim and check anyway.

Alan