Sign in to follow this  
shaneg

Coolant Temp

Just noticed yesterday that my car is overheating, it reaches the red in about 10 mins of driving, and blinks check coolant temp, i refilled my coolant tank yesterday, so couldnt be that, but will check when it cools down to see if there is a leak. do you guys chuck any anti-freeze in up here?

Any other reason it would get that hot so quick?

Yesterday was the first time, as i usually glance at it to make sure, but is usually steady as a rock.

Cheers

Check your thermostat <- this happened to me.

Take it out, and try with no thermostat if you don't want to just replace it.

But don't let it overheat, I'd suggest stop driving it, as if you shag the gasket or head, it will be $$$

Is your coolant tank empty again?? Could be lots of different things.. if you had to fill the coolant tank up, depending on how much you had to pour in.. I would be looking more towards a leak in the cooling system. Have your cooling system pressure tested (this will show any leaks immediately). If none are present. I would start looking at the other possibilities.. Air Lock.. Possibly the water pump has died.. Thermostat.. Cracked head/blown headgasket..

And as previously stated STOP driving it until you get it fixed.. overheating = bad for engine..

Edited by melowpuf

Cheers, only drove it this morning to see if it was still overheating.

And yes it has a leak, as i filled it up again, think the hose from the top tank has just come away a little, causing the pressurized water to spray out as it has sprayed the engine with rusty water, hopefully i fixed it, re tightened the screw clip.

Note to self... get some rust inhibitor, any recomendations??

Also isnt there some product you put in the radiator to find leaks etc??

You will probably find the top neck on the radiator is cracked and you'll need a new side tank or new radiator.

Use genuine coolant 2 bottles. I'd also change the thermostat considering its been overheated

Edited by *Glenn*

Also isnt there some product you put in the radiator to find leaks etc??

We use Hansells blue food colouring

You will probably find the top neck on the radiator is cracked and you'll need a new side tank or new radiator.

Use genuine coolant 2 bottles. I'd also change the thermostat considering its been overheated

By the top tank, i mean where you fill the water up, in front of the window..

as it comes down the and connects to the pipe the hose had slipped off a bit.

I'll be coming to see you Glenn at some stage soon anyway, im down to my yellow service indicator.

Maybe in the next two weeks.

Thanks