Sign in to follow this  
SIR E30

E30 Shocks

Got a few questions regarding the shocks in my E30. I just replaced the kybs I put in a year ago with some rebuilt bilsteins. When I removed the KYBs from the front the struts were filled with oil. What I want to know is 1. Was the oil meant to be there and if so why is there oil in the strut? and 2. Does it matter that I didnt put any oil in when I put the bilsteins in and stuck it all back together.

Thanks in advance - Jason

I believe the oil is to help with cooling. not required for gas struts like the bilsteins?

I agree with Mike, would have been in there when you old struts were in there , but wasnt removed when you had the kybs put in, had the same deal with the corolla, Except i had to heat the locking nut to get the struts open which ment hot oil spraying every where haha

Guest FrantiC

Yeah not meant to have any oil in there for Gas shocks. Meant to be for hydraulic shocks, lubricate and cushion them apparently..

The fluid provides a thermal transfer connection between the damper casing and the strut housing. This way the heat that is generated by the damper movements (up and down on the shaft) can be transferred to the strut housing and dissipated into the atmosphere. However, when you go to double adjustable dampers (e.g. Koni Sport/Race inserts) you have to drill a hole in the bottom of the strut to access the adjuster, thus prevent the strut housing from being filled with fluid.

The fluid is normally ATF (Automatic Transmission Fluid), which can also be used as Power Steering Fluid.

There was oil in the struts with the Bilsteins when I took em out Jase, most of the benefits have been mentioned but also allows the insert to slide in allow easier. Lubrication :P

That all makes sense. Thanks guys!

Keep your mind out of the gutter nathan!