Sign in to follow this  
Sick Puppy

Faulty front indicator on 94 E36 318

HI everyone,

A friend of mine has a 1994 BMW E36 318i. It has recently developed a problem in that the front left indicator works when the car has first started, but then ceases working once the car is warm. Makes turning left problematic, especially when you have a police car behind you! lol

She purchased a BMW E36 indicator/ wiper arm as she figured the old one was broken (her toddler has been found playing with the car controls- not while she was driving! lol); this replacement however did not resolve the problem.

Right, I’m figuring either dud bulbs/fuses, loose connections or a broken relay/flasher unit somewhere. I've done a search of this site, and to eliminate a few of the obvious causes, requested that she:

1. Check the indicator bulbs and make sure the contacts at the back aren’t too worn, and then swap them round, just to make sure it isn’t the bulbs. If these show any signs of wear, replace both of them;

2. (Assuming it isn’t the bulbs), check the fuses- unlikely given it’s one side, but worth checking anyway. Swap one around with the one that does the indicators/ lights, and if any problems, replace.

3. Start the car, but just leave stationary and let it warm up. Once it has done so, check the indicators again- is the left one still buggered? Just in case it’s a vibration/ loose connection;

4. erm… [goes off to look for the E34 maintenance manual I’ve just realised I’ve got]

Anyhoo, has anyone come across this before, alternatively does anyone have any suggestions? Thanks everyone!

It's all of them- and thanks for putting me right, as I for some reason thought it was just the front one (no idea why lol).

That pretty much precludes the bulb theory I guess... any ideas?

It's all of them- and thanks for putting me right, as I for some reason thought it was just the front one (no idea why lol).

That pretty much precludes the bulb theory I guess... any ideas?

have you looked at the indircator relay

have you looked at the indicator relay

I haven't- I'm in Wellie while my friend & her car are in Hawke's Bay.

Where would the relay be located please- is there more than one? From the searches I did in the BS website, do you mean what Hotwire describes in this thread as a 'flasher unit'?

http://www.bimmersport.co.nz/forums/index....showtopic=18114

I've looked through my E34 Bentley Manual and I can't see one for my car either other than a hazard flasher relay.

Thanks guys, keep the advice coming!

Bump- forgotten about this! lol

So, can anyone tell me where the indicator relay is so my friends can check it please? Ooh, and how do they test it? [sigh] I'm such a n00b lol

Also, is there anything else they should consider? Cheers!

Bump- forgotten about this! lol

So, can anyone tell me where the indicator relay is so my friends can check it please? Ooh, and how do they test it? [sigh] I'm such a n00b lol

Also, is there anything else they should consider? Cheers!

its in the fuse box man its a black tall one

its in the fuse box man its a black tall one

Cheers- will get them to replace it and cross their fingers :)