Sign in to follow this  
chrisvlok

Stainless brake lines

Hi all,

Am in the process of redoing my brakes and have baught new hoses, And am wondering whether or not it's possable to buy a roll of the same sort of hose to do all my lines? And how/where can i buy it, the fittings and crimp them etc......

cheers

You are kidding aren't you? :rolleyes:

Brake lines should be steel for as much as possible, and only hose where they need to flex. They are high pressure lines, and hose would not be nice. Also must be certed if changed from standard I believe?

You are kidding aren't you? :rolleyes:

Brake lines should be steel for as much as possible, and only hose where they need to flex. They are high pressure lines, and hose would not be nice. Also must be certed if changed from standard I believe?

no not kidding sorry!

why is that? expanditure?

Sorry Chris, yes, the less room for expansion, the better your brakes will work, that's why you change the rubber lines to braided ss.

you can buy steel brake line, a tube bender and flaring tool and the fittings. It's not easy but it's doable. Still need to get it certed at the end. I'd recommend getting someone experienced to do it, they are your brakes afterall.

Last WOF I went for they tried to fail my car for SS Braided lines, even though they had the correct tags and numbers, so I think you would be unlikely to get through with 'DIY' ones.

The rule on stainless brake lines at the moment is that the ends need to be crimped or swaged. That means any sort of DIY with assembled fittings is a no-no.