Sign in to follow this  
Gunner

Using too much Fuel!

I bought a 1994 bmw 320 e36 bout 2 months ago and found out that it seems to be using way too much petrol. its a 6 cylinder 2.0l car but im only getting 4-5km per litre... thats with unleaded 95. i checked the spark plugs and saw that they were looked a bit funny. see picture Posted Image do i need to replace those(all 6 of em look like this)? and what else could be causing my bmw to use so much petrol?

Edited by BrentonW

That sounds like excessive fuel usage, however is the air filter clean? is the car warming up to normal operating temp? (Middle position on Temp Gauge) Thermostats that are faulty stop this happening which will increase fuel usage due to the car never really warming up to normal temp.

I used to have an E36 320i auto, I did find it a bit heavy on fuel, but more like 12-13L/100k, what your suggesting is 20L/100k

That sounds like excessive fuel usage, however is the air filter clean? is the car warming up to normal operating temp? (Middle position on Temp Gauge) Thermostats that are faulty stop this happening which will increase fuel usage due to the car never really warming up to normal temp.

I used to have an E36 320i auto, I did find it a bit heavy on fuel, but more like 12-13L/100k, what your suggesting is 20L/100k

well i looked check the theromostat on da dash it gets to half way after a drive but i just read on some of service records from previous owner that the thermo stat was faulty.... so that cud be causing the problem since it mite be giving me a faulty reading.... is this expensive to fix? and i took out the filter and it looks pretty clean to me..