Sign in to follow this  
Jezza

E28 auto to manual conversion

Hey all

Recently acquired a E28 and after getting it running I'd like to know how much hassle would be involved in converting it to manual? Asides from the gearbox and pedal cluster, what else if required specifically? Can I use any manual box?

Cheers

I hear there are some issues around the sensors though? I wouldn't be able to use a getrag 240 from what I understand.

Hay Bro

Ive done this on my E28

depending if you have the M20 or M30 engine dependant on what you use - either a 260 or 265 work fine no issues with the sensors

my box has a sensor on the side but isnt used, some have flywheel sensors so just watch out, depending on what engine you use.

change took me about 1 day cause i hadnt done it before - and i have the wiring informaiton to take out the start relay from the auto

AND DO make sure you use E28 Selector rods, gearshifter etc - as mine came from a e32 and had to get selector rod shorted, both Brent and Marty have 2nd hand ones but if you can afford get brand new stuff - and also make a descision on your flywheel (im using Twinplate bit on the heavy side but graps like nothing) and would love to see what a single plate can do.

any questions let me know

Cheers

Kym

Hay Bro

Ive done this on my E28

depending if you have the M20 or M30 engine dependant on what you use - either a 260 or 265 work fine no issues with the sensors

my box has a sensor on the side but isnt used, some have flywheel sensors so just watch out, depending on what engine you use.

change took me about 1 day cause i hadnt done it before - and i have the wiring informaiton to take out the start relay from the auto

AND DO make sure you use E28 Selector rods, gearshifter etc - as mine came from a e32 and had to get selector rod shorted, both Brent and Marty have 2nd hand ones but if you can afford get brand new stuff - and also make a descision on your flywheel (im using Twinplate bit on the heavy side but graps like nothing) and would love to see what a single plate can do.

any questions let me know

Cheers

Kym

Cheers Kym

I have a m20b27 which will oneday turn into stroker motor instead of a eta. Is there any way you could forward that wiring information?

Jeremy

Cheers Kym

I have a m20b27 which will oneday turn into stroker motor instead of a eta. Is there any way you could forward that wiring information?

Jeremy

Ditto. Possibly even super or turbocharged.

Ditto. Possibly even super or turbocharged.

Yeah, not sure how hard it is to get low comp pistons though.